4 Tips For Budding Young Professionals

4 Tips For Budding Young Professionals

Finding opportunities can be daunting, but you can do it!

21
4 Tips For Budding Young Professionals
pexels.com

I can't slow down. I've always been that way. I haven't been unemployed since I was fifteen years old. I haven't always had a glamorous job and many times, I've actually held two or three jobs. All of this hard work has paid off because I can't even fit all of my jobs on my resume (that's what Linkedin is for); however, I'm constantly amazed at the number of times my peers have asked me how I managed to secure my current positions.

I've never felt that I do a lot, in fact, I've always felt that I could do more with a little bit of effort. It wasn't until people started telling me to slow down that I realized perhaps I may be doing a lot. Part of this has to do with the fact that I'm a first-generation college student (which I've written on before). So how did I secure my positions?

Know what you want.

I began to think about my future career years ago. As soon as I became a writing major, I knew I wanted to get into law or publishing. I didn't know what kind of law I wanted to go into, so I looked at my options. I decided on securities or intellectual property law, so I interned at a financial firm. That helped me make my decision to go into intellectual property law. Don't just take an internship because you need an internship, take it because it's going to help your future.

Do your research.

Don't just assume that you have what it takes to get the job. Do your research on the topic. Apply to multiple companies. If you don't go to school in an area that has a lot of opportunities in your industry, wait until the summer. You have to research. No one is going to drop a job or internship into your lap.

Put some time into it.

You have to put time into your ventures, whether they're professional or personal. Whenever I'm applying for a new position, I'll wake up an hour early to do my research or fill out my applications. You'll thank yourself.

Interview well.

Most career and internship services have interview training and assistance. You could have the best resume in the world and the right degree and knowledge for the job, but if interview poorly then you'll never get to show the company what you're made of. No one wants to work with someone that they can't talk to. I find myself at ease in social situations, but students who are introverted or quiet might have a little work to do.

Getting opportunities in undergrad isn't easy, but with these strategies, you'll be able to build a superstar resume in no time. It just takes a little hard work, dedication and a whole lot of passion about what you love to do.