9 Tips To Think About Next Time You See Your Barista

A need-to-know list from your barista.

19
dreamstime.com

Working at a coffee shop has taught many that serving coffee to people can be fun, stressful, crazy and demanding. Baristas serve people all over the spectrum--angels all the way to spawns of Satan. All shift long they are catering to you and your caffeinated needs. There are always things that they want to say that they know they can’t. In saying that, here are nine tips for you to think about the next time you see your barista!

1. Just because you haven’t had your coffee yet is not an excuse to be rude.

We understand that mornings are hard and that coffee makes you a nicer person, but remember that we are human just like you and would appreciate your respect.

2. Do not demand my full attention if you do not know what you want.

If you step up to the counter and tell me that you do not know what you want yet, that is okay. More than likely, I will tell you to take your time and I will get some stuff done while you decide. You do not need me to stare at you while you try and figure out life’s hardest question.

3. In saying that, do not ask me what you want or ask me to surprise you.

I am sure you are a wonderful and valued member of society, but chances are I don’t actually know you. Yes, I make you coffee every now and then, but that doesn’t actually mean that I know everything that you like. There is a chance that I might not even like you. Be a strong and confident individual that believes in yourself and your coffee decisions.

We don’t like when you tell us to surprise you because, just like I said above, we do not know you. What if we make you some random thing that you don’t like? What if you paid $5 for that drink and didn’t like it? In all reality this tip is me looking out for you, the customer. Baristas take pride in their coffee (at least I do) and we want it to be a high point of your day. This very well could not happen if I surprise you with something you do not like.

4. When you order your drink, for the love of humanity, please tell me what size you want.

I actually am not able to enter your drink into the computer until you tell me what size you want. Yes, we go by the tall, grande, and venti size chart but by all means use small, medium and large if it makes you feel better.

5. When you go to pay don’t throw your money at us or on the counter

Again, this is mainly a tip for you. When you do this you look like a jerk and nobody likes you. That is all I have to say about that.

6. Do not ask for different milk or flavors once I have started making your drink

To you this might seem like a tiny adjustment to your previous decision, but I more than likely have already started making your drink. Also, a different milk than the original probably costs more. When you ask for something different I have to start all the way over.

7. We really do hope that your drink is everything you hoped it would be.

Speaking for myself, and I would hope other baristas, I want you to have the best experience every time you visit. We take pride in our drinks and your reactions to them. We are proud to know that we are your favorite!

8. We enjoy getting to know you: your name, how your day is going, sometimes even how your life is going.

The best part of the job is getting to know the people that we serve. We enjoy knowing your name, your regular drink, and we are always wanting to know if you having a great day! Although we might now show it, we get overly joyed when we see you!

9. Even though this seems like a list of complaints, deep down we really do love being your barista.