Tips for Visiting Charleston In The Summer
Life Stages

Prepare for your trip to our wonderful city

2677
By Khanrak - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15838605

Many people visit Charleston in the summer and some don't know what to expect. You've probably got prospective activities and events planned out and are getting pretty excited for your time in a city awash with Southern hospitality. If you don't really know what to expect upon your visit you've come to the right place. Hopefully this list will help prepare you for your trip to the best city in the United States.

1. Bring appropriate clothes

bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com

OK so this is pretty obvious, but I couldn't write this article without putting it in here. Charleston is a hot place where loose fitting clothes and shorts are the best options for all things happening during the day. I know you're probably going to check the weather before coming but you'll probably be sweltering in any kind of long pants or shirt. Also, it's important to note that rain can appear out of nowhere sometimes so a rain jacket is advisable.

2. And comfortable shoes

You will be doing a lot of walking in Downtown Charleston and you don't want blisters to put a damper on your trip. The cobblestone streets and tree root-ridden sidewalks are notorious trip hazards so a flat shoe of some kind is the best. Sneakers, tennis shoes, or reliably comfortable sandals are best for daily excursions throughout the peninsula.

3. Be prepared to sweat

It's the South in the summer what do you expect? Following the tips above should help you stay cooler, but your're still going to be dealing with some pretty high temperatures. Plan your activities with the weather in mind.

4. Find something ~cool~ to do

www.charlestoncvb.com

There's no lack of things to do in and around Charleston so beat the heat by choosing your activities wisely. The beach is always an obvious choice and one you should definitely take advantage of. Go earlier in the day to outdoor attractions that are only open during the day and schedule indoor activities for the heat of the day. Then walk the streets in the evening and visit the Charleston Night Market when it's cooler.

5. Visit again in the cooler months

today.cofc.edu

All right so this doesn't really have anything to do with your trip here in the summer, but if you want to come again when the weather is more moderate you're sure to have just as much fun as in the summer. Even though you might not be able to swim in the ocean or dip your toes in the Pineapple Fountain there are plenty of other events you can fill your schedule with.

Don't let the heat deter you; it's not like you'll be standing in the middle of the street with no cooling factors all day. We know it can be warm and accommodate as much as possible. You'll have plenty to do and plenty of fun. See you soon!