Tips For A Successful Fashion Writer

Tips For A Successful Fashion Writer

Making A Way in Writing for Fashion

32
Tips For A Successful Fashion Writer
Buzzfeed

Ever since I was a little girl I have loved two things: fashion and writing. I can remember hoarding an obsessive amount of magazines and rereading everything that had to do with the latest fashion forward trend. So I’ve found a career that incorporates the passion I have when it comes to clothes, and the love and skill I obtain in writing. Being the Editor and Chief of a fashion magazine is an intense job, there is no typical day that one will endure so before I go into the research aspect of this career field I found an article from Anna Wintour, who stands as the presiding Editor and Chief of Vogue magazine, as well as holding this position for over 25 years.

After quite some research ,I put together about six tips on how someone would be able to potentially break into the fashion industry as an editor. The first one would be to just take a chance, because if there is a certain magazine editor that you admire and would like to know then you should find out their contact information and try emailing them. If they respond you could request a couple of minutes of their time for a phone call to have an informal interview. Then if successful it may lead to an internship down the road. Secondly, move to the big city when you have the funds to do so. New York City is the Fashion and Publishing capital of the United States. So if you were to find a job in this industry New York would have the most opportunities to do so.

Another thing one might consider doing is going above and beyond what is expected of them, in fact that is almost a basic requirement if you're looking to get noticed. No one is going to try and find you, instead you have to demand to be paid attention too. For example, if I found myself in a position of being the assistant to Anna Wintour, I would make sure that I did more than what she asked for, never complain, and try to always anticipate what she needed next of me. Because no matter how much work or stress this career can be, there are always hundreds of people waiting in line to take that spot. In addition to those tips, it is important to stay on top of current events, and that doesn't just mean the latest fashion trends. Therefor read the newspaper daily, because fashion is always a direct result of the influences going on all over the world. You should also collect images that inspire you from magazines, to photographers, color schemes, and different types of fonts.

Finally, hone in your personal style and never try to wear one designer from head to toe, instead create multiple looks from different fashion panels.