Tips For Starting Your Own Blog

Tips For Starting Your Own Blog

Where to begin

11
Tips For Starting Your Own Blog
flickr

Starting a blog can seem attractive to many people trying to get their name out there and build an online platform for themselves. Whether you're a writer, a photographer or just want a place to share you feelings, starting a blog is a good choice. Here are a couple tips from someone who has switched blog platforms more frequently than her hair color.

1. Know which platform is best for you.

There are so many blog platforms out there, from the common like Blogger and Wordpress, to the more personal like Tumblr. It can be dizzying. Research will be your best friend here. From looking into how much it costs for some platforms like Squarespace to how to navigate which one will make your blog more professional or personal.

2. Know your audience

You should keep in mind that starting a blog is for yourself, not to gain an audience. You shouldn't change your content and keep in mind who you think will be reading your material. If you seek a majority of college students, then the look and content of your blog will be different than if you want to attract business professionals.

3. Be specific

While wanting to cater to everyone is an appealing idea, it's not always the best tactic. You want to not only be specific in your audience, but be specific in your content as well. Once you start to get loyal readers, it will be strange to them if the blog they go to for dog information suddenly has a rant about turtles. You want to be reliable in your content.

4. Proofread

Your content will always appear better when it's not riddled with mistakes, whether small or large. If you're not a writer or editor at heart, this can be a difficult part of the blogging life, but it's an important one. If you're unfamiliar with grammar and sentence structure or spelling, ask your favorite English teacher or...

5. Have fun

If you're reading this article, I'm sure you already know this, but have fun with your writing! Usually, if you've decided to start a blog, you probably have some idea of what you want to do and contribute to the vast world of the internet. It doesn't have to be your absolute passion, but it should be something you have fun talking and writing about. If you care about what you're saying, others will too!

Now, go and start blogging!