A Letter To My Graduating Seniors

A Letter To My Graduating Seniors

Say goodbye to high school, say hello to the real world. Take a few pieces of advice with you.

1242
A Letter To My Graduating Seniors
Journey Down The Scale

I have had the pleasure (or sometimes not) of teaching high school seniors for the last four months. After working with these students, wiping tears, and giving countless pep talks, there a few things I would like to say to my graduating students as they leave high school and me.

Graduating High School Seniors,

1. I tried my best to prepare you for the real world, but there are still some things you will have to figure out on your own.

I tried to say “you’re adults, it’s up to you to not be tempted to use your phones.” I tried to encourage you to find it in yourself to self-manage and complete a project on time. I tried to show you what it means to be professional and how to speak to colleagues. Some of these things you did not want to learn or practice. And that’s okay. You are going to have to figure these things out eventually (hopefully, pretty soon) because a professor or boss will not hold your hand.

2. Deadlines are meant to be met.

I may have let you slide on a few deadlines but that won’t fly in the real world! I am understanding. I appreciate that you work after school. I understand that sports are time-consuming. I get not wanting to do something or needing a break. But these deadlines in high school are practice and preparation for the future. When you find a career or you’re in a college classroom, your deadlines won’t slide. Your boss or your professor most likely won’t be as understanding or willing to take your work two weeks late.

3. Don’t burn bridges.

Just because you are a senior, graduating and leaving this school, don’t burn your bridges! The teachers you’ve made connections with in high school can be mentors in the future. They can write you a glowing letter of recommendation. The friends that you have made could be a place to start networking in the future. These connections that you have made could last a lifetime. Just because high school is over doesn’t mean that you have to blow up those relationships.

4. It’s not always going to be easy.

Yes, I may have tailored lessons to fit your interests. Yes, I may have let you copy my examples. Yes, I may have graded you leniently. But no, not everyone will give you these easy outs in your future. Your college professor is not going to give you a model of an essay. Your boss is not going to let you half-ass your assigned project.

5. Keep up the hard work.

You have made it this close to graduation. That could not have been a cakewalk - it took effort, it took time, and it took endurance. Do not forget to carry these qualities with you as you move forward. If they were able to bring you through high school, they will bring you through college and work and the tough times.

I wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors. Whether or not it was a true pleasure, we have learned from each other. Take what this year and high school have taught you - take these few notes - and be brave in your future.

Be encouraged,

Your Tired and Weary but Enthusiastic Teacher