Ways To Care For Your Mental Health This Finals Season

A list of suggestions to help you maintain a strong mentality as this semester comes to a close.

35
Unsplash

If your classes are anything like mine, you are likely loaded with work right now. As you read over the syllabi for the weeks ahead, there is even more work waiting for you. While keeping up with assignments is undoubtedly important, here are some tips to care for yourself mentally as this semester draws to a close.

1. Take study breaks.

If you notice you've been sitting for a while and your back and shoulders are aching, it's time to take a break. Get up, stretch, move around and return to your work in a little.

2. Go for a walk.

Maybe it's just me, but as the weather becomes warmer my motivation heats up as well. Since you don't have to wear a full snowsuit to trek to the library, I am more inspired to get my work done. However, warmer weather also means an opportunity to get some fresh air and refresh. If you find yourself getting worked up, take a walk - however long you need - and rejuvenate your mind with the wonders of the outside world that extend beyond your textbooks and laptops.

3. Eat healthy foods.

Believe me. I know that pizza in the dining hall is faster than putting together a salad and those fries are calling your name. But, if you want to assure your brain is getting all the proper energy and nutrients it needs to handle all your work and the stress of day to day life, make sure you are eating good, whole foods.

4. Time management.

Make a plan for what you want to do when and try your best to follow it. Make sure you always incorporate some free time to relax and watch Netflix or read your new favorite book!

5. Hot showers and face masks.

While basic, a nice hot shower followed by a well-deserved face mask seems like the cure for everything. Taking care of yourself physically will help you feel better mentally.

6. Call your family members/friends.

Check in with your family and friends. Sometimes a reminder that you're loved and someone is proud of you is all you need to keep your motivation high and your mind in the right place!