TIps I've Learned From Getting A Dog

14 Things I’ve Learned Since I Became A Dog Mom

Having a four legged child is a wild freakin ride.

134
Cheyenne Wilton

I became the momma of an adorable Old English Bulldog named Ollie about 6 months ago and I can tell you from first hand experience that having a fur baby is a wild. Freakin. Ride.

From the moment I saw his scrunched up nose and big giant bear paws, I knew I was in trouble, I just couldn't leave without taking him with me. I knew it was a big responsibility, and if you met my puppers you'd understand just how big I'm talking, but I also knew that he'd be the best responsibility I'd ever take on. Since that day half a year ago, I've learned a lot about being a four legged friend's human and I figured I'd share some with you. So if you're thinking about adopting a doggo, especially a big doggo, heres some things you should probably be aware of.

They want to be close to you ALL. THE. TIME.

Cheyenne Wilton

Even when we're at home, he's always right on my heels, (I think its mostly because he knows I have the treats and I really struggle to resist his big huge puppy eyes). But even so, he is one of my biggest protectors, which means he sticks pretty close to me most of the time. He's a giant baby but I know if I ever need protecting, he's got my back. And again, you're their human and you're all they know so they have to be sure they don't lose ya, even if its just to go to the bathroom real quick.

You’re heart breaks whenever you have to leave them.

And you miss them every minute you're away from them. Shutting the door while those sad little eyes are staring up at you is extremely difficult, I hate it every time and I quickly run away from the door so I don't hear his whimpers. But its worth it when I get back and he's staring out the window waiting for me.

But there’s always somebody whose happy to see you as soon as you get home.

Cheyenne Wilton

There is nothing better than opening the door to see such a cutie waiting for you. They always get so excited that you're FINALLY back to play with them. However, we're still working on the jumping thing and his favorite time to jump is when you first walk in the door. Let me tell you, 80 pounds of excited puppy jumping up on ya is enough to knock you back a couple steps, so make sure you start working on that early.

There is an UNENDING amount of poop, even when you don’t think there can possibly be any more.

Potty training was literally the worst thing ever. I used to have a pretty weak stomach, and I still do for the most part but after cleaning up as many messes as I have, it's gotten a little better. That being said, you never get used to the smell. But, just hang in there, soon enough (sometimes a bit less soon than you'd hope) they'll get the hang of the whole going potty outside thing.

You get really familiar with finding ALL the dog friendly places in the area to take your puppers on adventures.

Cheyenne Wilton

For me, its important that my doggo gets as much exposure to the outside and other people/dogs as possible. That means I want to take him with me anywhere I can possibly take him where he'll be safe and enjoying himself. Usually, if pets aren't permitted somewhere, their website will say so or you can call and ask. All restaurants don't allow animals for obvious reasons but sometimes, you'd be surprised by the pet policies some places have. One of our favorite spots is Frankenmuth, because they allow pets in the majority of their businesses and there's some great spots for walks around the city.

Your problem solving abilities magnify by at least three times than what they were.

What happens when your puppy needs some water but you forgot their bowl? You cup your hands so they can get a little drink. What happens when they have an accident somewhere they aren't supposed to? You bust out the wet wipes and clean it up before anybody even knows. When you get a doggy, you learn quickly that pretty much nothing goes according to the plan and you learn to prepare for as many scenarios as you possibly can. A word to the wise, always travel with a bottle of water, some extra treats, wet wipes and clean up bags.

There is ALWAYS a favorite toy, and it is just as essential to pack that toy than it is to pack a water bowl and some treats when going anywhere.

Ollie's favorite toy is a red rubber bone. If we go on a trip that's longer than a day, the bone goes with us, just like his food and water do. For him, its like a security blanket, it's a piece of home in an unfamiliar place and he likes to keep it close. But, just like with any toy, I'm constantly checking to see if its still in good shape because he's a chewer and if any part of it falls off, he could swallow it and it could hurt him.

Stopping every couple steps in public becomes a must.

Cheyenne Wilton

Walks take a bit longer that they usually do, especially when they aren't familiar with the area. Everything is all new and you know they have to smell every blade of grass, just incase a different dog had also been in that spot, and if they're had been, your puppy obviously has to pee on it.

You HAVE to stop and scan the pet section every time you go to the store.

You get more excited over the new leash you just bought them than the new shirt you bought yourself. Your baby always needs AT LEAST a little bone or toy every once in a while right? After all, you left them at home to go to the store so you just have to make it up to them right? I'm guilty of going a little overboard when it comes to that.

There is SO MUCH SLOBBER.

Cheyenne Wilton

Maybe its just my puppy, but there's always slobber hanging from his jowls. It's constantly on some part of me (or the furniture, or the seats in my car, or the floor). If we're outside, its there. If we're eating, it's there. If he just took a drink, its everywhere. I've adapted to always having a slobber rag hanging out of my back pocket because while I personally am not bothered by it, one glimpse of slime hanging from his mouth can send others into a gagging fit.

There are also SO MANY CUDDLES

Cheyenne Wilton

My big baby is a cuddle bug and I wouldn't have it any other way. He weighs a ton and a half but I welcome him with open arms whenever he crawls into my lap for some snugs. Whenever I'm sitting on the couch, some part of his body is touching me. Whenever I'm laying in bed, his whole body has me smushed against the wall trying to get closer to me. Welcome all those snuggles, and be thankful for them loving on you. You're their human and their best friend, cherish that.

Training is difficult and it feels never ending, but it’s a MUST.

We are still very much in the thick of the training process and we have a long way to go. My puppy isn't perfect but neither am I and we're working on things together. There are so many more things that we need to get better at but he's still a puppy, and we've had him for barely half of his short little life. He still jumps, he knocks stuff over when he's excited, he makes a huge mess when he eats and so many more things, but we're working on it. It's frustrating, and difficult and sometimes I wonder if he even hears me when I tell him no but eventually we'll get the hang of it and be better.

Their needs come before yours because they depend on you for everything and you’re responsible for their health and happiness for their WHOLE lives.

Cheyenne Wilton

When you get a puppy, you take on the full responsibility of their life. You are their guardian and it becomes your job to love and protect them for their ENTIRE life. You make sure they're fed, bathed, healthy and happy because that is your baby and you are their whole world. When you adopt a pet, it's supposed to mean that you take the responsibility of being there for the remainder of their life, not just until the newness wears off and it becomes "too hard" to care for them. By adopting a pet, you commit to doing anything and everything possible to keep them because it is NOT fair to them that you got them because they were cute when they were little and now they're grown up and it's too much of a hassle to keep them. You are everything to that animal, do not ever forget that.

You come to know a love like no other.

Cheyenne Wilton

I don't have kids yet so I can't attest to what that kind of love feels like, but when I set eyes on my sweet boy my heart almost burst out of my chest. He's become more than just a pet, he's a huge part of my little family. My boyfriend and I love him more than anything and it's one of the best feelings I've ever had. I can't wait for all the adventures my family of three will have together and I can't wait to grow old with this perfect fur baby.