7 Tips For A Cross-Country Move

7 Tips For A Cross-Country Move

Summer means sunshine and suitcases.

34
7 Tips For A Cross-Country Move
the_salty_blonde on Instagram

Like many other college students, I got an internship this summer. My internship happens to be far away from not only my college but also my home in Montana. So a few weeks ago I loaded up my car and moved everything home from school. Now, I'm sitting in my parent's house trying to figure out how I am going to pack a summer's worth of professional attire, dorm room decor and everything else I'll need into a suitcase. If you are like me and need to get organized for a big move, here are some tips and tricks.

1. Make a list (or 10)

Making a list is the first step to getting organized. I usually start with a list of things I need to do before my move. This can include things like cleaning out my car, getting my hair done, checking that everything is arranged at my destination or other little errands. Then I make a list of things I will need to complete the moving process. This list usually includes toiletries, suitcases, and caffeine. Lastly, I make a packing list (well, usually a few packing lists). I start with clothes, then go to shoes, then toiletries, then accessories. These lists help you to stay organized and not forget a thing.

2. Get ONLY the essentials

Usually, when moving, you buy a lot of little stuff. Like all new shampoo and conditioner, new candles or a few new little decor pieces. All of this, in my case, starts happening before moving. When moving across the country, less is best. Fight the urge to decorate the new digs before you move and do not stock up on hair and body products, you can always buy them there or order online.

3. Communicate with the roommate

We young people usually have roommates. When you move far, far away, usually you do not know your roommate that well. This makes communication key. Text and call about what you each are going to bring, be realistic about how messy/clean you are (I mean, do not scare them away, but be realistic), and build that excitement.

4. Lay it all on the table

When you actually get around to the packing part of your preparations, lay everything out. Seriously, lay everything you plan on bringing out on your bedroom floor and look at it. Identify the few things that you probably do not need and then get organized. Think about how you are going to want to unpack all of this. The easiest way to unpack is usually the best way to pack.

5. Roll it, fold it and forget it

If you followed the aforementioned advice then roll up those tee shirts, fold your pants, and stuff your delicates into a little bag. Pack that suitcase and do not look back. When I am packing for a big trip I am always guilty of packing, then unpacking, then repacking. DO NOT DO IT! Just pack and let it be.

6. Bring your extra baggage

Always put a little bag at the bottom of your big suitcase. I opt for a weekender duffle that squishes down nicely in the bottom of my bag. This way when you buy loads of new stuff at your new place and want to move it all back home you do not have to ship it or run out and buy another suitcase. This little bag is also going to be perfect for weekend getaways and staycations.

7. Accept the final set up

Once your to-do lists have been checked off, the suitcases have been packed, and your purse has been stocked, relax. I am so guilty of always thinking I have forgotten something or that I really will need that extra sweater. Do not worry about it. Most likely you can buy it there if you have forgotten it or you can do without. After putting in all of that hard work to get organized you deserve to relax and enjoy your hard work.

Moving across the country, even if it is only for the summer, takes a lot of planning and hard work. Just focus on the end goal and eliminate the excess and you will be on your way to the perfect summer adventure.