10 Things That I Have Learned As A Transfer Student

As a transfer student, there's somethings that you are not aware until you arrive at your new university. Here are the top 10 moments that I have learned as a transfer student

29

As someone who has transferred to TAMU from the University of North Texas, it's been quite an experience, to say the least. With the pandemic being involved, it can make things a little bit (or even more) harder than it usually is. Here are some things that I have learned.

1. Unless you are a social person, it's hard to make friends for the first few months

File:Lonely Leaf (213110451).jpeg - Wikimedia Commonscommons.wikimedia.org

When it comes to moving to a new college, it can be hard to find friends in a time where a pandemic ravages the world. It's even harder if you're an introvert, where the mere idea of connecting with people and holding a conversation can be terrifying.

If you're looking to make friends, check out to see if any organizations appeal to you. Join that book club or even start one on your own! (Do be careful, though, when you're considering going to in-person events, make sure to bring a mask with you!)

2. If you don't understand something in class, reach out ASAP!

File:Chinese language homework.jpg - Wikimedia Commonscommons.wikimedia.org

Listen, I get it! Going to class is tedious, and going to office hours to talk about homework is not our idea for a fun time. However, as a student, if you want to do well in a class, it's better to reach out for help sooner rather than later down the road. While it's easy to assume that our professors will think we are stupid if we keep coming to them, that's what they are there for!! Why suffer about the unknown when you can get the help you need for understanding the content.

3. Utilize any resources that your campus offers you!

4. If you have to ask if you need a tutor, you should get a tutor.Molly Vanhoy

This is the only time in your life (unless you go to grad school) where everything around you is available at your service. Utilize those mental health resources, utilize that study group, utilize events that your university puts on (but still do social distancing!)

4. If there is a group for transfer students, join it!

Fall Transfer Student Welcome | UC Davis College of Engineer… | Flickrwww.flickr.com

Not only are you surrounded by people that are probably going through the same motions as you, but also you will have the chance to participate in game nights or other events that are hosted for transfer students.

5. Imposter Syndrome is going to hit!

Stressed Woman Looking at a Laptop · Free Stock Photowww.pexels.com

There will be some days where you will feel like everyone around you is smarter than you, but let me tell you this! You're here for a reason, and you worked hard to get to this point, you deserve this opportunity, and you will not let anyone else define you otherwise.

6. Take some time out of your day to relax

8. Meditationhttp://trinity-homes.com/prayer-meditation-room-ho...

Whether watching your favorite Netflix series or catching up on your favorite book series, it's important to take some time out of your day to enjoy it! Taking care of your mental state is important when it comes to school, so treat yourself once in a while.

7. Get one or two daily planners!​

It's easy to forget one particular assignment or test that has popped up out of nowhere! By using a planner, it's easy to look through to see what is due soon. Trust me, it saves a lot of hassle and worries, especially if you have one in your bag.

8. If you're on a scholarship, keep in touch with the financial office

All Star Money GIF by NorthWest Arkansas Community CollegeGiphy

If you have a scholarship in college, make sure to keep in touch with your financial office in order to make sure that you are in good standing, especially if any complications pop up.

9. Keep in touch with your advisor about your major!

Aviano education center steers Airmen in the right direction ...www.aviano.af.mil

Keeping in touch with your advisor about what classes you need to graduate is important! The last thing that you want is that one extra class that you have to take because your advisor forgot to tell you :/

Also, PLEASE use ratemyprofessor! It's essential when it comes to choosing your classes and your professors for your class.

10. It's going to be alright!

Student | A university student with her head on her books gi… | Flickrwww.flickr.com

Whether you transferred from a community college, a four-year college, or a two-year college, it's easy to feel out of place and feel behind.

However, don't let this fear take you! You deserve to be at the institution you worked so hard for; you defied the odds, and now you need to push forward towards a great future!

Take the time to be proud of yourself, and don't let yourself be held back by anything!