Tina Fey Quotes That Channel Your Inner Girlboss

Inspiration from one girlboss to another.

49

"Always make sure you are adding to the discussion. Your initiations are worthwhile."

In other words, never back down. There is always something you can do to keep adding to your attributes. Make yourself indispensable.

"You have to let people see what you wrote. It will never be perfect, but perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."

Take it from a writer. Getting your writing out there is terrifying. What if no one likes it. What if no one even reads it, so they can't even hate it. With the internet the way it is, there are always eyes out there willing to read your work. Put it out there. Like this dance move.

“It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don’t like something, it is empirically not good. I don’t like Chinese food, but I don’t write articles trying to prove it doesn’t exist.”

With that being said, make your writing tasteful. Just because you don't like or agree something does not render it non-existent or degraded. Be smart.

"If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: who cares?

Because who need society's standards of beauty. Like your hair purple? Dye it. Too lazy to shave your legs? Don't. Wearing a halo of frizz? Rock it.

"To say I am an overratedtroll, when you have never seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair."

Just another example of how Tina can swerve to avoid the haters. People are always going to have something to hate on. Hit 'em with that humor and keep on going.

"Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don't just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles."

Bumps in the road are part of life. When they come around, whether you're working alone or in a group, don't be the inner voice or person that brings everyone down. Yes, the problems have to be pointed out to figure out where to put the band-aid. But after that don't let it hemorrhage. Stick it on there.

"You can't be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down that chute."

Speaking of band-aids, sometimes they have to ripped off. There will be moments in life when you can't stand there any longer thinking for another moment. To put it in Nike's words, just do it.

"In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people then getting out of their way."

Even though you may be the head honcho in some situations, you don't have to hover over everyone. Part of being a good girlboss involves knowing who to recruit, who to trust and what to get them to do. Trust your instincts, trust your people and make it rain.

"Photoshop is just like makeup. When it's done it looks great, when it's overdone you look like a crazy asshole."

Natural beauty is hard to come by in the media nowadays. And whenever a celebrity releases a picture without makeup everyone loses it like seeing them in human form is something that we never expected. Sure we have filters on our pictures and makeup in our bags, but let's do it in moderation.

"My ability to turn good news into anxiety is only rivaled by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne."

This may just be Tina's way of saying, 'everyone is human.' We have emotions and sometimes our face chooses to display it with more than just expressions.

"There are no mistakes, only opportunities."

It's amazing how the simplest of quotes can resonate the most. Think of a mistake as an opportunity to do right the next time around.

"Speak in statements instead of apologetic questions. No one wants to go to a doctor who says, “I’m going to be your surgeon? I’m here to talk to you about your procedure?"

Confidence is key. Yes we all have insecurities, yes we all are unsure about some things. Sometimes we have no idea what the hell we are doing with our lives. But keep your intonations firm, and you'll be amazed the confidence you instill in not only yourself, but also those around you.

"Don't be fooled. You're not in competition with other women. You're in competition with everyone.”

Sometimes we may feel like we are going to have cat fights with other girls in the way that everyone attacks each other in that iconic scene in Mean Girls (just another masterpiece of Tina Fey's). However, even though women may be pushed off to one side in the work field, you're not just trying to surpass them. You're trying to surpass everyone. It's intense, but sometimes it's just a dog eat dog world.

"Blorft" is an adjective I just made up that means 'Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.' I have been blorft every day for the past seven years.”

We feel blorft during our time of the month, we feel blorft when we're hungry, we feel blorft when boys are pissing us off. We also feel blorft when a project doesn't go well. We feel blorft when we barely missed a promotion. Blorft can apply in all aspects of life. Blorch too.

"Do your thing, and don't care if they don't like it."

Basically: work it, girl.