It's Time To Get Serious About The 2016 Presidential Election
Politics

Get out there and vote.

16
The New York Times

It’s Election Day tomorrow, and for some odd reason, the race is really close.

The race is between Hillary Clinton (one of the most qualified candidates to ever run for president of the United States) and some other guy. For some odd reason, people are 100% behind this guy. I get it; your family may own a small business and perhaps Hillary Clinton’s policies might seem like they’re working against you, or you may just be tired of politicians. You may also think that America’s place as #1 in the world is in jeopardy. Like I said, I get it. I understand some of the reasons why you may support the policies that his team comes up with.

What I don’t understand, though, is that people wear red hats with cliché slogans on them and put up signs with his name on their front lawns as if he were the embodiment of the United States.

Whenever you see his name, it is inevitable that his words drown your thoughts out. He’s stated that those who are undocumented immigrants are rapists and that they’re bringing drugs across the border. He chooses to ignore the systemic oppression of our black brothers and sisters, and he has discriminated against them in the past. He thinks that it’s funny to make period jokes about a qualified reporter who asked him valid questions during a debate, and he’s made incredibly inappropriate comments about women. He wants to ban our Muslim brothers and sisters from entering the United States because he’s irrationally scared of them, even though many of these people need help and refuge. He’s stuck in a made-up personal feud with China, and he thinks they invented climate change as a hoax; he doesn’t seem to understand the gravity of our actions and he wants to completely dissolve the Environmental Protection Agency. He has mocked a reporter and has made fun of his disability. He’s threatened his political opponent with prison, and he’s hinted at her assassination while lying about her stance on the Second Amendment.

That’s what some people are choosing to support. They’re choosing to support that over a qualified candidate whose only goal is to become a president for the people. They’re choosing that over Hillary because they “don’t like her” and because “there’s just something about her.”

Again, I understand that it’s imperative that you protect your interests and those of your country, but here’s a fun fact: there are people who exist in this country that aren’t you, but are equally as important as you. Here’s a little snippet from the United States of America’s Declaration of Independence:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

We should not, and cannot, let this man assume one of the most important roles in the world. People like him should not be allowed to represent us. We’ve had enough of it (see: Bull Connor, Joseph Swing, and Andrew Jackson, whose face is on our twenty-dollar bill). This man does not belong in the White House.