The Time I Went to The Movies Alone and Learned About Myself

Or about how I'm a independent adult who can do things on her own

244
TImeout

Legally, I’ve been an adult for two years now. At least above the legal voting age, which technically makes me an adult, whether or not I felt like an adult is another matter entirely.

Since I’ve been an “adult”, I’ve had to do a lot of adult-y things.

I’ve been doing my taxes (or at least involved in doing them) since I was 16. Made my own car payments and paid for my own gas. Worried about my tuition bill and worked towards paying it off. Bought things I needed at the store like clothes and food and paid for my summer apartment among many other things.
You get the picture.

But up until this point, I had never really gone out and done something fun on my own.

Sure I’ve gone out with friends or even gone on friend/sibling dates, but I’ve never really gone “out” by myself.

Until last Friday.

I was stuck at my apartment for an extra night because I had to work the following day, otherwise I would have gone to my grandparents so I could just go with my family to my cousin’s wedding. But, here I was; the adult that had to work in the morning.

So, I decided to go out and get some Chinese take out. It was a Friday night and it was just me, so I was going to treat myself. (Plus I was too lazy to go out to buy groceries to make myself dinner. But that’s beside the point) As I sat in the Chinese place, waiting for my food, I decided to look up what movies were playing in town. I had the time and I didn’t have to worry about coordinating rides or meetings, so I could definitely make plans easily with it just being myself.

Sure enough, there were a few I could catch on a Friday night. I’d been itching to see the new “Spider-Man” movie again and I didn’t have to run it by anyone, so I figured what the heck. I had the night to myself.

I headed back to my apartment and had my take-out while I watched “Friends”. Once I was full, I put my left-overs away and decided to pack while I was waiting. I told myself that I had to get a few things done before I could leave (see? Adult!©). I did manage to get everything done and headed to the movie theater.

I waited in line by myself and wondered if it was weird that I was there all alone. Everyone else in line had at least one person with them, and there I was, completely on my own.

But I was already committed.

So I got my ticket and headed into the theater.

I was able to pick whatever seat I wanted without anyone complaining.

I got to sit where I wanted to sit. Once I was sitting down, I hunkered down for the movie, excited to see it again. I won’t spoil it for you, but as I watched the credits roll and silently laughed at literally everyone leaving except for me, I was happy.

I didn’t have to leave just because those I was with didn’t understand how Marvel movies worked or didn’t get that I never left a movie until the credits were done, no matter what.

But as I sat there in the empty theater, waiting for the post-post credits scene I knew was there, I thought about how great it felt to have gone by myself. There was no pressure. No arguing about where to sit. No worry about hogging the armrest. No hushed whispers as the movie played.

I got to sit and enjoy the movie how I wanted to enjoy it.

It was oddly empowering.

It was a moment that I felt totally independent.

Going to the movies alone wasn’t as weird as I thought it would be. I don’t know if I got weird looks or empathetic glances, but it didn’t matter. I was totally in control of what movie I saw, when I saw it, what I ordered for food, where I sat, and when I left. It was a feeling I hadn’t felt in a while. No one complained because there was no one there to complain to. Even as I left the theater totally alone, I walked with my head held high.

Sure I was alone on a Friday night without anyone to hang out with, but I didn’t care. I like having alone time. Going to the theater by myself just showed me that it wasn’t weird and something I could do again in the future.

I had always thought it would be weird and kind of pitiful, going by myself. So if no one could go with me, I just wouldn’t go, or wait until someone could.

But after telling myself that I should just go for it; that I was an independent adult (and woman) who could do whatever she wanted, I decided to give it a shot.

And I was not disappointed.

I don’t know the next time I’ll go to the movies by myself, but now that I know it’s something I actually really enjoyed, I might do it more often. Going to the movies is a favorite pastime of mine and there are always movies I want to see that no one else wants to. Well, now I can go on my own.

If you have never gone to the movies by yourself, I highly recommend it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love going to the movies with others and love the experience. I’m definitely not going to stop going with other people, but I won’t let the fear of going alone stop me from seeing something I really want to see.

So be brave.

Go to the movies alone.

Who cares?

Enjoy the experience without worrying about anyone else yourself, you might find the experience eye opening; just like I did.

So be your own date and see that movie.

You won’t regret it.