I  Was Voted 'Most Likely To Be Late To Graduation'

Coming From The Girl Who Got Voted 'Most Likely To Be Late To Graduation' In High School

Time management is pivotal.

363
Bridget Ells

I would describe myself as someone who enjoys to stop and smell the roses. In high school, I didn't pay as much attention to the clock. First hour in my mind was an option and I had a proud collection of tardy slips in my car. I realized my lack of time management wasn't holding me back from any standings with my activities. I maintained A-status on the honor's list for my good grades, kept my position in National Honors Society and succeeded in my sports. Clocks really didn't exist in my high school world. However, I soon came to realize after my freshman year of college that a better acknowledgment of time was crucial.

Time management is "cool".

I went from feeling like a badass for skipping first hour in high school to feeling guilty for missing even five minutes of my 8 AM lecture. I always questioned why my mindset changed in such a short amount of time. As I independently matured, I noticed that tardiness wasn't a "cool" thing anymore. All the numerous people telling me that "early is on-time, and on-time is late" might have actually known what they were talking about. I realized that good time management skills were something I had to gain on my own.

My steps towards a productive lifestyle.

An organized and productive lifestyle wasn't something I gained overnight. There were a lot of beneficial steps I took to get where I am today. The best thing at the beginning of my transformation was giving myself an extra ten minutes wherever I was going. Class at 10:20 AM? No. I would tell myself the class starts at 10:10 AM. Those words "early is on time" have become what I continually strive for. Also, I tend to schedule classes early in the day. It's amazing how much time can be wasted sleeping in until 12 PM and putzing around in the afternoon. Even by limiting the amount of time I spend on my phone has helped. Not only has it helped my productivity but also has resulted in a healthier lifestyle.

Memories are priceless. 

I look back at that mock election yearbook picture and I can't help but smile. There's nothing more nostalgic than reminiscing on old photos from the past. However, nothing more exciting than living in the moment and thinking about the future. I've come so far. I'm proud of myself.

And no, I wasn't actually late to graduation, if you were curious.