College Devotional: God's Timing Through The Toughest Seasons

Time Cannot Steal Dreams

Within these seasons, when we allow ourselves to feel, to hurt, but to continue to hope, we are simply allowing ourselves to be human.

35

The reality of time has been hitting me extra hard lately. As time passes it can seem like dreams are fleeting. The right time to meet the right person, the right time to get the ideal internship or job, the right time to move to that new city. If things don't fall into place at the time we anticipate or wish they would, it can feel like the dream is dying.

Seasons of lingering disappointments, hurt that feels like it will last forever, facing realities that bring rushing rivers of tears to your eyes.

I've been learning the importance of looking at disappointments through a lens of God's love rather than the broken pieces of my own heart. To have the courage to see disappointment as an opportunity to appreciate each blessing all the more when it comes to pass. To understand that it's okay to feel waves of heartache, but not let it lead to doubting God's love.

Be brave enough to look fear in the face and know who you are and what has been promised to you.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens," then in verse 11 it goes on to say, "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

In every season, there is meaning and God has His own timeline to fulfill that purpose. Our lives are comprised of the greatest joys and mountaintop views as well as the greatest losses and valleys that seem never-ending. God appoints joy and sorrow to each season, but seasons will come and go. Life on earth is a mist that will disappear when the Light comes and all the will remain are our souls. God is after the hearts that beat with His.

Even when the process feels like a mess and the timing feels all wrong, when there seem to be more valleys than mountain top views, cling to knowing that God is good; His love is sure. Time can't take away promise. He never lets go of the dreams He has instilled in your heart, so neither should you.