My Freshmen College Dorm Gave Me My Two Best Friends

As my freshmen year at college comes to a close, I would like to thank my two best friends.

414
Jilly Eder

As I entered college, I knew I would meet new people and make many new friends. I am hesitant to say I was nervous about getting out and participating in events around campus to meet people but little did I know my suitemates were going to become my closest friends.

We shared many firsts, many personal stories, and the greatest of all we got to see each other grow. I wasn't expecting to become as close to them as I did and as fast as I did. We traveled to the other side of the country together for a week. Now we sit here crying and reminiscing about our baby selves walking into Barney(our dorm) on move-in day and being so excited for college to start and be on our own.

Over the few weeks following the start of classes, we went everywhere together. Abby and Erin were roommates with each other, and I shared a wall with them. We lived in a suite of eight girls total and I always hung out in their room. I even contemplated getting a dog bed to put in between their beds for me because at times I think I was spending more time in their room than in mine. They became my sisters and we shared literally everything from clothes to secrets.

Next year, we will be living in different places. They will both be in their Sorority houses, and I will be living in an apartment about a 10-minute walk from them. I have my own room next year and I'm planning to bring an extra bed. Even though I told my parents I will use it as a couch, I'm actually bringing it so my friends can sleep over at my place and make it feel just a little like freshmen year again.

We won't see each other as much because we won't just walk into the suite and see each other anymore. Things will have to be planned and a lot more effort will be required to see each other. Despite that, we will make it work and put forth the effort to make it work because our friendship is deep even though we met less than a year ago.

So to my two best friends, thank you for being there for me through many firsts and some great college experiences.