21 Thoughts A Yoga Has In Their First Yoga Class

My first college roommate owning a yoga mat and telling me that I would like it was all the convincing I needed to order a mat of my own from Amazon and do some routines with her. With the busy-ness of college, however, my roomie didn't do it that often, so I didn't either. Even with the little I had done, I knew that I liked it and I would like to do it more in the future. I didn't do any yoga until earlier this week when I signed up for a free yoga class my friend was instructing as part of a research study. I didn't know what to expect since I have never taken an actual yoga class before, but I honestly loved it and really want to do it more in the future.

Here are some thoughts I had during this yoga class, as a first-time yogi.

1. Can I be considered a “yogi” after taking one class, or do I have to practice it regularly?

2. Not gonna lie, this mat is pretty comfortable.

3. Was I supposed to wear yoga pants to this? It’s in the name, after all.

4. If we lay in the savasana pose much longer, I *will* fall asleep.

5. Wow, I can actually do this pose.

6. I hope we’re going to move on from the warrior poses soon because my arms are dying.

7. The instructor looks so rooted and balanced during tree pose, yet I look like I’m getting hit with a severe storm.

8. How does the instructor remember the order of these poses?

9. Yoga always looked so easy, but I’m sweating.

10. It’s so awkward to look up at your hand during triangle pose.

11. At least you can’t get child’s pose wrong.

12. This stretch is just what I needed today.

13. How are you supposed to touch your knee to your forehead?!

14. I wish I had a dollar every time the instructor has reminded us to not scrunch our shoulders towards our ears.

15. The seated twist really made my back crack.

16. Savasana pose is much more relaxing now that I’ve been working hard.

17. The word “namaste” apparently has more meaning than being used for a pun, like “namaste in bed.”

18. Woah, my body feels soooo relaxed.

19. I feel so empowered right now, like I can do anything I want to.

20. I understand now why so many people do this.

21. I should start doing yoga on my own.