19 Thoughts We've All Had While Hiking The Bluffs

The bluffs may be beautiful but boy, are they a workout.

20
Cassandra Kemmel

La Crosse, WI, is a beautiful city surrounded by bluffs. These bluffs are both a tourist attraction and can be a good workout too. Here are some thoughts you may have had if you have ever hiked these bluffs.

1. "Okay, Maybe it won't be so bad this time."

We all like to think it will get easier the more you hike the bluffs but that never seems to be true. Unless you are hiking them every other day, the bluffs will take you as a victim when you choose to venture out to them.

2. "You know, I have been eating much healthier and have been working out more. I am ready for this to be a breeze."

Jokes on you, you will still struggle as much as everyone else.

3. "Okay so I need to bring a selfie stick, phone, water, I mean, I should probably wear running shoes at least."

You don't want to carry a bag with you while hiking but how else will you hold onto every necessary item needed for a bluff hike.

4. "If I walk to the path I will be tired before I even start hiking, but if I drive there, I look like an idiot."

Since many trails may start off of a park or randomly in the bluffs, debating whether to walk, bike, or drive to that starting spot is always a thorough thought process.

5. "Screw it, I'll just walk to the path, I need the workout anyway."

Bad idea. This will be regretted.

6. "Wow, I love walking. I look so fit. Work it. Strut."

As you walk to the park, you start out strong. Then you begin to fade already.

7. "Oh no, I am breaking a sweat now. Why did I decide to wear a dark T-shirt. Please don't let me see anyone I know."

You may be embarrassed about seeing someone you know while sweating like a pig, but so is everyone else hiking.

8. "Finally made it to the path! This will be easy."

You're optimism will soon fade.

9. *5 minutes in* "Okay, maybe I'm not in as good of shape as I thought..."

We have all hit this point where you begin to doubt yourself but you are too far in to turn back now.

10. "Dear God, please let me make it. I will be a better person. I will study more and actually go to class."

The begging for mercy soon follows, and you offer yourself and your sanity up just hoping to make it out in the end.

11. "My mom would be so upset if I died up here in the bluffs. Would I ever be found?"

Chances are someone would notice your absence but let's hope you chose to take a common path in case.

12. "Holy crap I think I see the top. Is that what heaven looks like?"

Your eyes light up with joy as soon as you see the top, and the burning pain in your legs and butt seems to vanish.

13. "Wow, this view was worth the climb. Nothing can compare to this beauty."

You now see why you wanted to hike. The views from the bluffs are one of a kind and truly jaw-dropping.

14. "I say we stay up here for a little bit to chill, maybe take some pictures."

Let's be real. You're just stalling having to climb back down. We have all done it whether we want to admit it or not.

15. "WATER!!! Oh how I love you!"

After praying to God, water truly feels like a gift sent from above.

16. "Well, I have stalled enough; it's time to walk back down."

Screw walking. You're going to be running down the bluff because of how steep it is.

17. "Quick feet. Crap, a branch. Jump. Don't fall."

You have to think quick when running back down, avoiding anything that can send you rolling back down the side.

18. "The down was much faster and easier than the up."

That most likely is true, especially if you rolled down.

19. "Okay that was my outdoor activity for the month. Till next time."

Hiking the bluffs makes you not only realize how out of shape you are but why you may not do it more often.

Now, it may be rewarding to get out and be physically active but sometimes my couch can be just as rewarding.