Thoughts At The End Of Freshman Year

Thoughts At The End Of Freshman Year

College was a daunting place to enter, though hindsight shows it was easier than expected.

26
Thoughts At The End Of Freshman Year

Happily, the last day of my first year of college is steadily approaching. It’s been an interesting year, filled with new experiences and people, and nostalgia for the easier days of the past. High school came and went, fleetingly. Freshman year has now come and gone, seemingly within the blink of an eye.

I went from a small high school to a smallish college, so not much changed in terms of the population of my school. What was rather jarring turned out to be the placement of the school: in the middle of downtown Boston with no real campus in sight. No quad to relax on or walk through without feeling the constant threat of mugging at every turn. Sure, I had the Boston Commons and Public Garden right outside my door, but I am hesitant to call a place that I fear entering past 8 p.m. relaxing.

It was not all bad, though (clearly, since I wrote an article on those two locations recently). I found the daytime strolls through the Commons helped clear my mind, clustered with anxious city thoughts.

Living in a city was a change that I anticipated to be large, even though I live in the same state. My fears were deterred come orientation, when I was moved in swiftly and brought around some parts of the city.

In hindsight, it was a year full of trepidation, quickly remedied by experience. Nervous energies fluctuated with new foreign experiences, such as a speech class and journalism classes. But then I actually managed my own expectations after living through some classes, and it became better.

The pattern became clear come the second semester—nervousness, followed by apprehension in class, followed by understanding and, for the most part, enjoyment.

My first year at college taught me a lot about my future in journalism, but it also gave me a better understanding of how to get through my second year. Rather than worrying about the unknown, I have to be excited for it. Great things come from unexpected challenges.

The speech class has done wonders for my confidence. Writing for the Odyssey has given me an outlet for my writing and also boosted my self assurance in my compositions. The subtraction of math from my core curriculum was also a welcome change.

I opened the piece claiming I am happy that the year is ending, and I am. I can only go forward now. With what I have learned, both academically and in my own life, I am confident that the rest of my college stay will be easier and more enjoyable.