We As Americans Need To Rethink Our Security
Politics

Thoughts On The Fort Lauderdale Shooting

7
ABC News

This past week, the nation saw a tragedy unfold in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. As the event was happening, I was in my own home, sitting and watching the news. The biggest thing that caught my attention was the fact that the reporters were saying that this type of thing has happened in other airports across the world where the shooter goes for 'soft spots' for security in airports. I know the government knew about these other situations around the world so a bunch of questions filled my head like "If they knew this exact same thing has been happening in other parts of the world, why wouldn't you prepare ahead of time and increase the security in the 'soft spots'?"

Along with that question and others, I began thinking about what I had watched on an episode of Adam Ruins Everything. On this episode, Adam decides to ruin anything that we feel is secure and he decides to ruin the TSA. He says that, basically, the TSA has never stopped any threats at all and that it is all 'security theater'. Security theater is where it gives you the sense of feeling secure when you are most likely not secure at all. Of course, Adam does list the places he gets his facts from on screen and online if you wish to check them out. After watching that episode and watching the tragedy unfold in Florida, it made think on how we are really not safe in America in our airports. We only protect certain areas and we do not check for new age weapons. We only check for things that have been done before. I believe that we could turn our 'security theater' into actual security. TSA members could get proper training and be up to date with all the possible dangers. Granted, it could make time in airports worse for business and just travel in general but I would rather have proper security measures done than just have the feeling of being secure.

Going back to the question I had asked in my head while watching all the news reports, I do seriously wonder why we , as Americans and government officials, do not prepare ahead of time for possible dangers. Do we not think that this is going to happen to us? Seriously. It happened in other parts of the world and we are a major target for a lot of organizations. When something happens multiple times in other countries, I think we should take that as a hint to start preparing for it to happen to us.