Thoughts all Pre-Med/Pre-Law Students Have

The limit does not exist

154
pinterest.com

We have all heard that our 20's are supposed to be the best years of our lives. If you're like me, I think this is the most stressful time. As of now I am going into my senior year of college with a knot in my stomach. I still can't chose to pursue medical or law school. Most of my peers are going in with high hopes of graduating this year and getting full time jobs while I'm thinking about how much longer it'll be until I'm at that point in my life.

Here are a few of my everyday thoughts:

1. Do people actually get perfect scores on their LSAT/MCAT?

*takes prep test* *gets mediocre score* *googles how to get rich as a college dropout*

2. Am I supposed to be doing research?

Adulting without getting paid basically. But it does look good on a resume, obviously. And you'll definitely make connections even if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

3. What really is an internship? How do I find one?

I struggled with this one. SUCH a commitment. Most of the ones out there require you to move halfway across the country and live on a stipend of maybe $3,000 for the summer. If you have something in your area I would recommend that. Again it's all about connections, too!

4. Do I really want a 100 on this exam or to go out with my friends?

The answer is yes...sadly. I think we can all relate to those nights where you drink a bottle of wine and try to write a lab paper on thermodynamics...HA.

5. Do I even have a chance at good Medical/Law schools without a 4.0?

I'll be modest, my GPA is not where I wish it was. but have no fear! I mean...as long as you make it above a 3.0 you can get into either Law or Medical School. If your GPA is low try your hardest to ace the entry exams and build that resume up!

6. So I didn't do a volunteer trip to an exotic place..Does that make me less awesome?

Ain't nobody got time for that if we're being honest. I mean unless your parents give you money, you have a connection, or you're filthy rich and get money without having to go to work, then this isn't for you. It's probably a wonderful experience and extremely heartwarming, but look around in your community! Most schools like to see you give back to where you're from.

7. Where do I even start on having a non-basic personal essay?

So I didn't have any huge obstacles in my life. Most of the essay's that I read in 55 Successful Harvard Essays were above and beyond anything I could think of or have done in my life. Feeling discouraged, I thought of things differently. Instead of saying why I want to pursuit law/medicine I explained why I almost didn't. I used that insight to then explain how I can be a face of change.

8. Should I tour all the schools I like?

Traveling is not in my budget. I highly doubt that touring a school would really give you that much of a push in the application process. Just keep dreaming on the school websites and virtual tours.

9. Is a gap year worth it?

This is a personal choice with many factors. For me, I will not be taking a year off but some of my peers are. They are taking the time to work, travel, get a better GPA/test scores, etc. There are positives and negatives to both sides. If you are really struggling with this, I suggest to make a list and follow some blogs!!

10. WHY ARE HARD SCIENCES SO HARD?!!!?

yup.no.just bye.

11. So much self doubt...

I swear that every time I look up ways to better my education or experiences I find something new that I WISH I knew about before. I get overly stressed about this just like every other pre-med/law student. We all just want a chance.