Thoughts Of A 6 Hour Car Ride

Thoughts Of A 6 Hour Car Ride

Give it more thought.

1038
Thoughts Of A 6 Hour Car Ride

Instead of staring blankly at the bricks that make up a tall law firm building, I imagine further into the dimly lit window to the guy at his desk finishing up the work he didn't get done earlier today because he was watching Netflix. He's so pissed at himself for clicking "yes" when the screen asked if he was still watching after 3 hours. Then again, he doesn't care because it's not like he has to get home to anyone besides his fish and ramen noodles. He remembers he didn't water the plant on his window sill and gets water with a little paper drinking cup from the hallway. He wonders if it's bad to feed the plant filtered water but it's whatever.

The bus we're passing has 2 customers on it. I wonder if the girl reading likes her book or if she's just reading it to break the awkwardness between herself, the other passenger and the driver. Maybe she loves it and it's her fourth time reading it this year. Maybe it's a mandatory read because it was assigned for a class. Maybe it's the book that she wrote. Her mom said writing wouldn't get her anywhere and it feels amazing to be flipping through the crisp pages of her freshly published book.

We're on a pretty bridge and there's an outdated looking factory to the left. What if there's some dude that can just press a button to shut off all the electricity. Everything shuts down, alarms go off, workers starting their night shifts that will go into the early hours of the morning suddenly are ushered out the back doors. What happens if the power goes out? Maybe nothing. Maybe another dude flips a switch and everything's back to how it was, workers punching in and out, some happy to leave, some miserable because home sucks so much that a factory is a better place to be.

Now we're passing a Canadian flag. It's literally huge, about 10 times the size of a normal flag. Who pulled the string to put that flag up in the air? Was it a guy that wasn't even born in Canada and haphazardly pulled a the tattered ropes in a hurry because he was hungry and wanted to get to Chipotle before the line got too long? Or was he a die hard Canadian- the smell of maple syrup literally wafting off him? Was that flag pulled up into the sky with pride of ones country, or in a careless minute of some guys day? Did the guy go home and tell his family what a honor it was to raise the flag or was it never spoken of again?

We just drove by an airport and I think airports are sick because there are so many stories to be taken out of them. Just sitting the other day waiting for my luggage, I thought up lives for all these random strangers I'll never see again. But maybe I'll see them again, 10 years from now in a Starbucks. We'll never know that we stood 5 feet apart in a Toronto airport in 2017.

Another airport story. A man standing with balloons, a teddy bear and flowers awaited us at the door after the terminal. Too bad we had to rush to the car and I couldn't catch a glimpse of the receivers face or emotion. Was it was a joke he has with his best guy friend overtime they visit each other because they live in different countries? Was it his girlfriend that he's totally attached to who was just away for 2 days? Was it his mom? It could be the flight attendant who had a long day and every Friday he waited for her to get off the plane and they went home to Chinese food and a movie?

What are in people's suitcases? Where have the suitcases been? Under an airplane, a bed, in a closet, wheels rolled through a sandy beach? Why do people tie name tags onto the handles? Will someone call the number and return the luggage or will they go through the bag and take everything nice and leave it outside a bathroom in the airport? Depends who the person is and how their day went I guess.

I wonder if the lamp store we just passed has ceiling lights or if the lamps themselves just light the space. They're still on during closed hours, isn't that a lot of electric bills to pay?

Where did the man driving the Lexus we just passed grow up and if did he have a lot of chores?

What is Derek Jeter doing this exact moment?

Is anyone in the whole world listening to the same song I'm listening to right now?Mind Of Logic featuring Camille Michelle on Soundcloud. Honestly, I don't think anyone is, making me the only person in the world jamming to it. But if someone is, they can't possibly be on the 1:45 mark of the song. Or maybe someone is.

We are at the border right now and the dudes name is Gerald. He just got a radio call saying he can go home and visibly seemed happier. He asked what we purchased in Mexico, but of course didn't really care if it wasn't some weird thing, which who would admit to? We could have a kiddnapped person and had them in the trunk but Gerald would never know. All he wanted to do was leave and get a smoothie from Panera.

We passed a movie theater and the parking lot was packed. Some cars of parents, worried why their daughter isn't out yet- after all the movie ended at 10 and it's already 10:09. The newly licensed driver twirling their key lanyards around their fingers. Some liked their movie and some hated it but won't admit their opinion because everyone thinks it's bad.

We're driving by an amusement park that's only open in the summer. It's right next to where we have our family reunion. I wonder if anyone's in the amusement park right now, jumped over the fence that's relatively easy to get over, and now walking around cautiously. There's a small chance that's the case, but hey, the people driving by on August 1st, 2016 wouldn't think anyone snuck into the park that late at night, but they did and I know because I was there. The closed photo booths and dead waterslides begging for a paint job.

Well, we have 2 hours left in this car and I need sleep.