To The Girl Who Is Her Own Worst Critic

To The Girl Who Is Her Own Worst Critic

You cannot let it consume you.

35
To The Girl Who Is Her Own Worst Critic

I think it's safe to say that, at times, we are our own worst critics. However, some of us take critiquing ourselves to a whole new level. Instead of picking out our weaknesses and looking at what we can improve, we obsess over these things. All we see are the negatives. It's a constant, never-ending, overwhelming feeling. The negatives become so loud and powerful that it takes over our lives. We can't function. We tear ourselves apart.

If you can relate and feel like you fall into this description, don't worry. I'm right there with you, along with tons of other people. It's more than you would think. I'm sure you're very familiar with putting on a mask and pretending that everything is OK by acting like your anxieties aren't eating you up inside. You're not the only one who is hiding what is going on underneath their smooth and happy exterior. So many of us do it.

Unfortunately, some of us are so good at it that other people would never expect it. We look around and see everyone so happy and perfect, when in reality, they're feeling and going through the same things we are. We are not alone, even if it very well appears like we are.

Instead of comparing yourself to everyone else, compare yourself to the only person who really matters: yourself. Compare yourself to who you were a year ago, five years ago, ten years ago... where do you stand compared to them? Are you better off than they are? Are you a better person than they are? If your answer is yes, then congratulations, you're doing something right. You've overcome so many trials and tribulations, and here you are, still standing and still growing.

If your answer is no, then compare yourself to the person you want to be a year from now, five years from now, ten years from now... What differences do you see between you and them? What can you do to overcome those differences and become as good, if not even better, than they are?

Where you are now isn't where you will be for the rest of your life. Your story isn't over. You have so far to go and so many different roads you could possibly take. Take the roads that will not only make you the happiest, but the ones that will allow you to look back and be proud of how far you have come.

If you catch yourself hating yourself and allowing the negativities to tear you apart, please stop. Do not let it consume you. Take a deep breath and relax. You cannot stress and worry over the things you cannot change. You cannot compare yourself to others, because what you see on the surface is usually never accurate to what is happening beneath. You have no idea what others are dealing with.

All you can do is look at yourself and change the things that you can. Focus on loving yourself instead of hating yourself. Think of all the good qualities you have, the blessings you've been given, the good people in your life, and the amazing person you want to be one day. This time in your life you're in right now won't last forever. So enjoy it while you can, appreciate what you have achieved thus far, and look forward to what all you can possibly do in the future.