To Those Who Don't Know About Their Future

Just do what's right.

10
Cienna Stuhl

Growing up and becoming an adult is scary. So many people ask you "what do you want to do?" "where do you want to be in five years?" or "how does it feel to graduate?!" The answer to all those questions is a resounding "I DON'T KNOW."

So much of the time I really don't know what I think, feel or want. The thing about growing up is that even when you don't know what's going on, you still have to act. Life comes at you fast and you may not have a plan but you still have to commit to an action and take it.

When I was a kid, I knew I was going to be a horse farmer when I grew up. I went to horse camp, had horse posters, had a toy barn and tons of toy horses. But now that I'm paying bills and graduated college, I have a much different job.

My job with a local police department would have never made it onto my "things I want to be when I grow up" lists. But now that I'm working this job, I really enjoy it. Not just because it pays the bills, but because it hits my strengths and I feel like I'm offering a service that really helps people.

I didn't even know that I was going to be a Criminal Justice major in college until my Freshman year when I switched from Humanities to Criminal Justice. Now that I'm in the Criminal Justice field though, I enjoy the work and I enjoy helping people.

I don't know where my future will go, who I'll be with or where I will be...but I do know that things really do have a way of working out. I believe that my God has my life in his hands and that He has my best interest in mind. I may not know what's going on in the grand scheme of things, but I believe that if I take the next "right" action, then my life will go in the right direction.

I define the "right" thing as the action that would be the most God-honoring, ethical, logical action. Doing the right thing ranges from big life decisions (such as where to go to college) to the smallest, day-to-day decisions (like being nice to those around me even if I'm feeling annoyed).

I may not always know what's going on, but I've found that acting in a kind and smart and ethical way will put me on a path that's headed in a direction I want to go. You may be lost right now, but be kind and smart and good to those around you. Don't take people, work or family for granted. Take actions that show you're grateful for what you have in your life. Taking right actions puts you on a path that leads in the right direction. Have faith, trust and make your own pixie dust!