Those Around Us: A Short Story (Part 2)

Those Around Us: A Short Story (Part 2)

Because everyone around us has a story.

414
Those Around Us: A Short Story (Part 2)
Unsplash

Tanner

He watches her from his car. He's parked under the Johnsons' pine tree; two houses to the left from across the street from her house; from his old house.

She's tending to her garden and watering her trees, just as she does every evening as the sun is setting.

She never sees him, or at least she pretends she doesn't. Although he does not do this so she can see him, he wouldn't mind if she did. He would like her to know that he's still here.

This is the favorite part of his day. Watching Amy's face glisten against the volcanic gleam of the sun. It's the closest thing he has to still being with her every day.

The memory still haunts him. The words she said that day branded him like a farm animal.

"I'm sorry, Tanner, but I want you to leave," she had said as tears streamed down her face. "I can't do this anymore. We're not us; I'm not myself. I've become this terrible person, and we fight all the time and for the stupidest things and I, I,... I don't know if I love you anymore. I think we need time apart. I'm sorry."

He didn't respond. He couldn't. He was too shocked to say anything. His mouth was sealed like a safe in a bank. He knew things between them had not been the same for a while, but he did not expect this.

He also hated the fighting. And he hated that they didn't feel real anymore. He shared those feelings with her, but he didn't understand one of the last things she had said. He had never questioned his love for her. He was more sure of that than of anything else in his life. But she didn't feel the same way.

After she had said that, she locked herself in their bedroom and he left. He could hear her crying as he exited the door.

He stayed in a hotel for a few days, and he soon moved into a small studio apartment near his work office. He still lives there, even after a full year has already passed.

The sun's final words for the day find his eyes, and their harshness makes him squint. He turns to Amy and watches as she picks up her things. She stops and admires her work. She looks proud of her garden. It makes him smile.

The second she walks into the house he turns on his car and starts driving away.

He thinks about the first time they met. Almost twelve years ago. He was at the checkout line at the supermarket when he felt someone tap him on his back.

"Hey, go Tigers!" she said. She pointed at his sweatshirt. "I went there too. Graduated two years ago."

He felt stunned for a second; she was beautiful. Long brown hair and beautiful golden eyes.

He looked down and realized he was wearing his university sweatshirt.

"Hey, that's awesome!" he responded. "Go Tigers! I, uh... graduated three years ago."

"Nice," she said with a smile.

"I'm uh... Tanner," he said while extending out his hand.

"Oh. Hi, I'm Amy." She laughed and shook his hand.

They left the supermarket and he invited her to coffee.

So, they ended up going to the nearest coffee shop. He remembers how he mocked her for her drink order.

"I don't think you should be allowed to call that coffee anymore," he had said with a laugh.

"It's the only way it tastes good," she had responded with a smile.

They stayed there for hours. And by the end of that night, he was sure that he had found the person he wanted to spend his life with.

The memory makes him sad. It makes him wish he could relive that day. He sighs and watches from his rearview mirror as the last of the sun disappears.

But I haven't lost her, he thinks. Not yet.

Suddenly, he decides to make a stop. So he turns his car around and starts driving in the opposite direction of his apartment.

After a few minutes, he arrives at the coffee shop.

He gets out of his car and walks to the white front doors. As soon as he opens them he sees a young woman who seems to be hurriedly leaving, so he motions her to pass as he holds the door for her. She smiles and thanks him, and he smiles back.

He orders Amy's favorite drink from the barista and leaves the shop as soon as he receives it.

He gets in his car and starts driving back to Amy's house. His determination grows as he draws nearer to it.

As soon as he arrives, he takes out a pen and a piece of paper from his briefcase and scribbles a note on it:

Go, Tigers!
- Always here, Tanner

He grabs the note and the coffee and leaves his car. He walks to her front door and places them on her doorstep. He rings the doorbell and runs back to his car.

He gets inside the car and turns his face to the house.

"I'm going to win you back," he says aloud. The empty air seems to give him a response. He smiles.

He then ignites his car and drives away.

To read the first part of this series, click here .