This is Home

This is Home

How to go home after finding a home away from home.

8
This is Home
Jayden Taylor Cartelli

I love coming home every once in a while because I have the opportunity to see the faces I love and have missed, and I also get to see the town where I grew up and how it has changed without me. I know, weird, but I really do look forward to coming home to see slight changes in my neighborhood, or how the local McDonald's is under renovation, or how my old high school's production is something I am no longer apart of. Oddly enough, I like seeing these changes in my community. In all honesty, it allows me to feel as though my life isn't spinning out of control.

What I mean by that is, I constantly feel like I am going one hundred miles an hour, speeding through school and social life and whatever else may be thrown at me as each day passes. Being able to come home and feel as though these changes in myself are normal because the world has continued to turn and change with me makes me realize I'm not insane. Also, being able to just sit at home with my family has been a blessing, considering that I have jumped into being an adult (trying to, anyway) and life sometimes gets a little too crazy, even for me.

Overall, take a weekend off. Go home, enjoy your family. Watch a movie with them. Eat dinner together. Just take a little while to enjoy the fact that you still have the opportunity to come home and have someone cook you a meal so you don't have to eat cafeteria food for another meal. See people who you have not had the chance to see in a while, and remember that they are still important in your life. Bring yourself back to earth, and enjoy the little things.

I have had a really great time being in school full time, and I am truly as busy as ever, just like every student who just went through midterms is. But, in all honesty, when it was time to finally pack up my car and go home, I was worried about not fitting in to the place I grew up. I felt as though I were suddenly going to be trying to put on a size seven shoe when I wear an eight. Just... really uncomfortable. I could not have been farther from the truth, however, because coming home has really allowed me to realize that, just because I am growing up doesn't mean that I no longer fit. My town is growing with me, just in different ways.

In short, I guess this is just my way of saying that, even though we are all trying to adult and be independent, it is okay to go home and be a kid. It is not something to be ashamed of, or to think is not acceptable, because it is. After all, home is where the heart is.