This One's For The Ones That Got Me Here

When a song speaks to the heart.

63
Courtney Rae Johnson

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a die-hard Cole Swindell fan. I have been since day one. I mean, who couldn't love a guy who remembers where he came from, loves his alma mater (HAIL SOUTHERN), and loves his fans? I know, I don't know either.

Last week, Cole released a song that hit home. Not that this is the first one, because we all know that "You Should Be Here" brings tears to the eyes of the toughest people we know, but it just spoke to my heart and the things going on in this season of my life. The song, "The Ones That Got Me Here," moves past simply thanking the people who have impacted his life and actually gives them credit for his success.

I have faced what I see as more than my fair share of hardship throughout my life, but I have had it better than so many others. I always had a roof over my head, food on the table, and clothes on my back. I always knew that I was loved. I was pushed to succeed, encouraged to follow my dreams, and taught to trust in the Lord's plan regardless of the struggles I faced.

See also: 6 Things Every Georgia Southern Graduate Is Gonna Miss When They Leave Statesboro

When I walked across the stage on graduation day, it wasn't only for me. It was for my parents, my brothers, my grandparents, my teachers, my preachers, my best friends, my high school friends. It was for the ones who encouraged me, the ones that told me I'd never make it, the ones who took a chance on me. It was for the people who never gave up on me.

Don't get me wrong, it was for me, too - but I didn't get this far on my own.

This diploma, this is for the ones who got me here.

All the haters, all the lovers. All the friends that are more like brothers.
All the people I ain't seen in too many years.
All the faces in the bleachers, the never gave up on me teachers.
Yeah, this one's for the ones that got me here.
- "The Ones That Got Me Here," Cole Swindell.