This Must Be My Dream

This Must Be My Dream

My experience at The 1975 concert.

12
This Must Be My Dream
Savanna Strott

This past week,I went to the concert of The 1975 here in Las Vegas. The concert was at the Boulevard Pool at the Cosmopolitan Casino. I don’t religiously attend concerts (cue very dry bank account), but it was easy to see that The 1975 brought a very unique and unordinary presence to the stage.

The night was an equally visually and aurally pleasing experience. My nerd self could not help but go starry-eyed at the amazing lighting that went a long perfectly with the songs as well as the fantastic and thoughtful editing on the close-up screen accompanying the performance.

The best part about the performance was that the band was not a slave to the performance. Many times, artists are so obsessed with pleasing the audience that it is the only thing they focus on. They want to make sure the audience is engaged and having a good time.

The 1975, by comparison, appeared to just do whatever they wanted. When they began playing their song “I Like it When you Sleep for you are so Beautiful yet so Unaware of It," I was surprised: I did not expect the mostly lyric-less song to make the cut. I love it, but a relaxing tune you put on while doing homework is not typically played at a concert filled with young people standing around ready to have a legendary night. So while the crowd searched the inner-webs on their phone and gently bopped their heads, the band threw themselves into every note they played.

Throughout the night, it seemed as if the band played the songs they wanted in the way they wanted to play them. This created a very genuine performance. So genuine, in fact, that it was not much like a performance at all: more as if a gigantic crowd decided to all watch The 1975 have a practice in their garage. At any point, it was as if the band could hop off stage and wait in line with the guy in the third row while waiting to get a beverage.

Despite their own very casual vibe, an instance like that would not be one in which they could do without being bombarded by fans. The audience certainly had its fair shared of overly excited attendees. One in particular threw her bra with the words “CiCi loves The 1975” written on it at the feet of the lead singer. Matty picked it up, read it out loud, and sarcastically mentioned how impressed her father must be before tossing it behind him and, “speaking of the subject,” went into the song “Sex”.

This reprobation, or any time Matty said anything really, was greeted with an eruption of squeals and screams at his “OMG. His accent is so cute!” British dialect. And when all the band played their best-known song, “Chocolate," all of the people there for cute concert pics and the ability to say “Oh yeah. The 1975 concert was so great. You should’ve been there,” squealed like they’ve never heard the song before.

Another peculiar part of the night, at least for me, was the excessive use of cigarettes. I saw several members of the band light a cigarette, or two, or five. I’ve always thought that smoking was bad for a singer’s voice, but I was soon informed that many singers smoke to keep their voice raspy. Still, it was just a lot of smoke… and a lot of alcohol. At one point, Matty paraded about holding both a cigarette and a goblet of wine. One time he climbed atop one of the amps on stage and danced around, giving a well-deserved highlight to the talented saxophone player.

Matty certainly was the center of attention. This concert for me personally served as a confirmation that the lead singer is a musical genius and also a lunatic. I’m an absolute terrible dancer, but that man has me beat: knocking his knees together in “She’s American," bumping his elbows in “Girls," and sweetly thrashing like a fish out of water in “Love Me”.

But I guess it is unfair to classify it as dancing when he was literally feeling the music pulse through his body. At every “awww” from the synthesizer on “If I Believe You”, he would point to the sky as if calling on angels themselves to be his backup singers. When he played the keyboard, he would thrust his body into each press of the keys. He was quirky and awkward and weird, and it was awesome. If he wasn’t so physically attractive with an adorable British accent, his musical talents, unfortunately, would probably go unnoticed by the world. But because he serves as a sort of eye candy, society has somehow accepted his unusual strangeness.

Perhaps the most spectacular part of the night was when Matty used the platform he was performing on to broadcast a more important platform to the audience: voting. Not even from this country, he told the “thousands of young liberals” they see at every concert to go vote. The vulgar language and offensive terms directed at Republican candidate Donald Trump aside, the influential band created their own kind of #getoutthevote movement. Judging from the loud cheers, the message resonated. The band may have an impact more significant than chill concerts and good movement: one that inspires youth to care and be involved in their government.

Lighting and editing, wine and cigarettes, dance moves and voting, The Sound of The 1975 will definitely be ringing in my ears for a while.