This Is Why We’re So Afraid Of Feelings

This Is Why We’re So Afraid Of Feelings

Sometimes, I don't know what I'm feeling.

18
This Is Why We’re So Afraid Of Feelings
Kelly Sikkema // Unsplash

One of the most common things many millennials share is that we avoid feelings like the plague. I know that it is something we all just want to keep to ourselves and never reveal under any circumstance. We’d rather silently suffer than be vulnerable and put ourselves out there.

But no matter how many times we can deny or stay silent our feelings and emotions are valid. This may seem obvious, but it's something that a lot of people have yet to come to peace with.

They’re not a figment of our imagination. They are very real. It’s your feelings that make you human even though at times you would rather run away than have to experience them.

Running away from your feelings is the easy way out. I am completely guilty of this just like anyone else. However, I know that they always find a way of catching up with you later on.

I am sure it is something we all don’t want to confront, but we can and should confront our feelings more often. By no means is this an easy task, but it is necessary. Once you give yourself the chance to feel out your emotions you’ll thank yourself.

It’s bizarre when you come to think deeply about it. You show compassion for others when they are sad, angry, or whatever they might be going through. However, we never have compassion for ourselves. Allow yourself to feel. We always align weakness with confronting our feelings and that is far from the truth.

If we stopped and took a moment to realize how we feel, maybe we would be able to change it. All we really need to do is suck it up and gain the power to face our feelings. It might be the best thing we do for ourselves.