This Is Why I Love Heidelberg

This Is Why I Love Heidelberg

It's not just a center for learning, it's a home.

105
This Is Why I Love Heidelberg
theknot.com

My Heidelberg story varies considerably from the rest of the students here. As a matter of fact, we all have our own Heidelberg stories to tell and believe me -- I’ve heard some good ones. Many come to HU for athletics, others, because we have outstanding academics. However, I came to Heidelberg because I knew instantly that this was home for me. I'd visited one school prior to my visit to HU and had plans to visit Eastern Michigan University which was one of my top picks for my future education. To be quite honest, I had no intentions of actually attending Heidelberg University and I merely agreed to visit so that the administration’s office would stop calling me once a week. However, I was pleasantly surprised, and grateful for their incessant calling, when I stepped onto this gorgeous campus, it felt familiar and it felt like home. After leaving campus that day I decided not to visit Eastern Michigan because after my short time on Heidelberg’s campus, I had my heart set on being a Student Prince.

One of the best things about Heidelberg is that no matter what you are interested in, there is a place for you on this incredible campus. I chose cheerleading and Greek life as my significant places inside the Heidelberg community, but there are so many options that it is impossible NOT to find a place that you can call your own. I’ve also tried my hand at acting and as much as I enjoyed it, it’s just not the fit for me. However, I was welcomed with open arms into the drama department and I met some truly inspirational and talented people. This holds true for all organizations, no matter where you go, you’ll be welcomed in with overwhelming kindness and encouragement.

Much to my surprise, I also love the small class sizes, mostly because I know when I sit down in a classroom I’m not just another body in a seat. I came from a small high school so I was a little hesitant about going to another small school. However, I thoroughly enjoy my small classes. I know that when I walk into my 2 pm history class, my professor knows my name, where I’m from, and which seat I’m going to sit in (because you have to respect the unofficial assigned seats). It’s comforting. Even more than that, the professors here are supportive and encouraging. They care about each and every one of their students and push us all towards being successful adults. It’s easy to get to know these amazing individuals and it’s nice to know that if you’re struggling you have a support system that’s willing to get you on the fast track to being successful and prosperous.

I think one of my absolute favorite things about Heidelberg is the immense amount of support we students have for each other. In recent years we’ve seen amazing success both athletically and academically. It’s almost guaranteed the wrestlers will be present at every home sporting event, usually rocking some sort of theme for the night. We also see our football players carrying out the same ritual, competing for best costumes, and providing entertainment for the rest of us spectators. It’s part of what makes us a family here at HU, our mutual love and support for Heidelberg sports. Academically, I’ve never been more encouraged to do well. Each year, when the freshmen class moves in we hold a ceremony in which President Huntington gives a speech about their success up to their arrival at Heidelberg and from that point on we continue to encourage success. Being a part of Greek life has really shown me this because you have to withhold certain GPA standards in order to maintain your position within your society. I know the same goes for the sports on campus as well. We take pride in our academic success and we strive to produce the best prepared students for life after undergrad.

The most amazing thing about Heidelberg, however, is the people that make up this incredible university. Without the individuals I’ve come to know and love I would not have created the many stories and memories that I cherish today. I know, how cliché right? But honestly, I’ve met some of the most diverse and intellectual people in my short time at HU. They offer so much insight on various topics and have allowed me to be more open minded to many things. They’re also the people I miss when I go home for break and the ones I want to spend all of my time with. Even the people that I am just merely acquainted with have positively impacted my experience here at Heidelberg. I know that can always count on a pleasant smile as I pass by the girl that was in my chemistry lab last semester, or a good laugh from the guy that sat beside me in media. It is these few things and so much more that make Heidelberg more than just a center for learning, but rather a home for me. I cannot imagine myself on any other campus, with any other people, or learning from any other professors. This is why I love Heidelberg.