Why I'm Proud To Be An American
Politics

Why I'm Proud To Be An American

Six reasons why I'm proud to be an American.

15

I wake up every morning so blessed to be where I am. I’m so thankful everyday that I get to call America my home. If you ask anyone, they’ll tell you how much pride I have and how I never take one day for granted in the country that I love.

1. I’m grateful for the freedoms I have, and the freedoms I don’t.

The Constitution, the Bill of Rights, even the Declaration of Independance: all of these documents mean so much to me. Even in times of hardship I’m still so proud of where I’m from and would never want to live anywhere else. Although my views may not be the same as others, as an American, I have the right to express my views, and that to me is a beautiful thing.

2. I'm proud of my military.

I, myself am in the Air Force National Guard and if anything it only makes me a prouder American. Seeing all the people who volunteer to help our country makes me see how much it is loved. The fact that we have so many willing military members, increasing veteran support and continuous appreciation for all branches is a constant reminder of how proud our country is and how hard we work to protect it.

3. I'm proud of the men and woman in blue.

There are those that protect our country as a whole, and those that focus in on our friends, family, neighborhoods, towns and cities. Although I have been angry towards a police officer or two, I’ve made sure to never give any of them any trouble. Because I’ve never gotten any punishment I haven't rightfully deserved. It's crazy to me that someone can hate police because they get a speeding ticket, when it was the right move for the cop to give them that ticket. You were speeding, own up to your mistakes. I’m glad I live in a country where we have to be held accountable for our mistakes. If people felt like they could get away with anything, we would be in a much more dangerous place.

4. Everyone has a home.

Whether you are in agreement with the majority or you hold an opinion with a select few, there are always people in this country that can connect with you and share your views. There's peace in knowing that you are never alone. We are diverse enough that even if the news says you’re not welcome, you know that someone is fighting for the same beliefs and as you, which is a bigger blessing than most us of come to understand.

5. I didn’t grow up a trophy baby.

In a generation where they no longer have homecoming court so no one feels left out and kids play sports without a winner but, still get a trophy for showing up, I grew up knowing what it was like not to get everything I wanted. My family has always been financially stable but that didn’t stop my parents from preventing me from getting a lot of things that I didn’t need or deserve. I experienced plenty of loss simply because I wasn’t good enough at something or because something just wasn’t meant to be and I learned to accept that. Every day I see young adults complaining over “spilt milk” and causing a stir over things that really only become an issue because they make it one. As a child I wasn’t to happy about rejection and failure but, am proud that I can make more intelligent decisions because of it.

6. I think America is my perfect fit.

More and more I see on social media, people comparing America to other countries. It’s a lot of “well France does this” and “England does that.” Simply put, if I was interested in living my life the way those counties do, I would move to those countries. Americans aren’t forced to live here, they have the freedom to leave whenever they’d like. If you’re the type of person that thinks America should be more like another country, honey, just go to that other country. The same way you feel pride for that country, I feel for America and I don’t want it to change. Go find your perfect place, don’t try to make everyone fit to your ideals because you’re unhappy.