This Is What Life Is Like After College

This Is What Life Is Like After College

You will wish you were back in college

265
This Is What Life Is Like After College

The day has come where you walk across the stage at graduation and say goodbye to college forever. Of course, it doesn't feel real and you are confused and not sure where you will be headed after this. You start to apply to jobs since now you have your degree and need to work since you don't go to school anymore.

So you apply and you get some interviews but you don't get the job. So you keep applying and then finally; some company decides to hire you. The pay is not bad and you'll honestly take anything because money is money and as long as it aligns with your degree then there cant be anything better right? So you start working and the first couple of weeks are great, you travel to the city every day and you are just learning the ropes at work and what your position entails.

Then it starts to hit you, you start getting tired of waking up at 5:00 AM every day for work, traveling an hour to the city just to see the same people every day and do the same job you did yesterday. Your body feels fatigued and you don't want to even go to the gym after work anymore. You are in bed by 9:00 PM and asleep by 9:15 PM.

The weekends start to consist of just relaxing because you know that during the week you have to be up at the crack of dawn. When you do make plans you regret making them because that relaxation time is essential before the week starts. Friday nights you may possibly head out with a group of friends but that's also if you have money left over from any bills you had to pay that pay period.

Your paychecks are not actually your paychecks, don't even bothering taking out money to go shopping because it is not happening. You have to pay for the monthly train pass as well as the subway. Your loan company contacts you because now it's time to start paying back your loans so don't even think about putting that money into a vacation fund. After that, you have to pay for food to make lunch for work because eating out every day gets expensive. On top of your other expenses like gas, car insurance, putting money into an emergency fund, buying your essentials like shampoo, conditioner, body wash, a razor, deodorant, hair products, and professional attire because you cant show up to work in sweatpants like you did when you went to class.

You start to think there has to be more to life than just working and paying bills and there is. My suggestion is to start saving money in college so that when you finish the financial burden does not hit you so hard. At this point, your parents will tell you since you are an adult and work full time they will no longer help you because you have to learn how to do it on your own. From scheduling doctors appointments, signing up for health insurance, taking out insurance policies, getting a 401K, planning your expenses, and doing everything that a normal adult does.

Sometimes I wonder why I wanted to grow up so fast? Why did I want college to end? Why did I think being an adult was so cool?

I can probably answer my own question and say that I wanted the freedom to do as I please without realizing I have to work and pay bills and spend the rest of my life planning the next thing.

I do wish I was back in college but hoenstly, being an adult is not so bad, you just have to find your path and life and follow it and if you cannot find the right path just create one and make it a great one.