My Top 10 Halloween Movies

My Top 10 Halloween Movies

It's the best time of the year again.

23
My Top 10 Halloween Movies
Disney

Once again, it is the best time of the year. And no, I do not mean the one with the caroling and cookies. My absolute favorite holiday is Halloween, without a doubt. I love dressing up for Halloween, and I love going to Halloween parties. In fact, there is nothing I dislike about the holiday. In preparation for my favorite season, I've started watching all of my personal favorite Halloween movies and have decided, in all of my infinite wisdom, to compile a list of my top ten favorite Halloween and/or spooky flicks. So, without further ado, let's kick it off with number ten.

Please note: I will be omitting "The Nightmare Before Christmas" as it is more of a Christmas movie than a Halloween movie

10. Coraline

Before you yell at me, yes I understand that "Coraline" isn't a quote unquote Halloween movie and can be watched all year round. However, "Coraline" makes it to number ten because at 19 years old, this movie legitimately freaks me out. The Other Mother is so unnerving, and the idea of buttons being sewn into my eyes actually terrifies me. "Coraline" is just creepy enough to earn my number ten spot.

9. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Do I even need to explain why this is on here? You have the king and queen of creepiness, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, directed by the god of all things spooky and weird, Tim Burton, in a movie where they literally bake people into pies and sell these pies to the masses of London. If this movie doesn't at least creep you out a little, you're either lying or just have zero fear in your body.

8. Halloweentown

"Halloweentown" is arguably the greatest Disney Channel Original Movie of all time. Actually, the entire "Halloweentown" series (except for the fourth one- we don't talk about the fake Marnie) is fantastic. It has some surprisingly scary moments for a DCOM, and yet still remains super campy and fun. Its one of the few Disney Channel Original Movies that I can still watch to this day and not cringe the entire time.

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street

Yes, I mean the original version from 1984 because, as cheesy as it is, it's the best one by far. Robert Englund is absolutely terrifying as the now classic villain Freddy Krueger, and what makes him even scarier is how he kills. Freddy comes for you in the one place you're supposed to be safe, he kills you in your dreams. In all honestly, the scares haven't held the test of time all that well, but this classic is creepy enough to warrant the number seven slot.

6. Child's Play

Baby dolls are fairly creepy to begin with, but you know what's even worse? Murderous baby dolls that just so happen to be possessed by serial killers. This is literally the entire plot of the movie "Child's Play", and while it is a bit silly and laughable at times, it's still scary enough to cause me to never trust a baby doll ever again. I'm including not only the original here, but also "Bride of Chucky" and "Curse of Chucky".

5. Scream

"Scream" is the ultimate slasher flick. The opening scene of the film is young Drew Barrymore being murdered by our movie's villain, Ghostface. Looking back now, Ghostface is very silly looking, but the thought of a knife-wielding serial killer is always scary. Ghostface proves he is definitely someone you should be afraid of, especially with his creepy phone calls. "What's your favorite scary movie?"

4. Corpse Bride

Okay so full disclosure, I love "Corpse Bride". It's one of my all time favorite movies, and is another one I'll watch all year round. I especially love it for Halloween though, because its so creepy and vaguely menacing. It isn't overly scary, nor should it be because I mean as twisted as it is, it is still a love story. The colors are absolutely beautiful, and the end is heartbreaking, and yet it's still dark enough to earn the fourth spot on my list.

3. The Addams Family

They're creepy and they're kooky, this family lives, eats, and breathes Halloween. Seriously if you look up the word Halloween in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of the Addams family. The original series is fantastic, but the 1991 movie is definitely worth watching if just to see Christina Ricci kill as Wednesday Addams. This family is so weird, and neither they nor I would have it any other way.

2. Hocus Pocus

I can already hear the cries of outrage because I didn't make "Hocus Pocus" my number one. I stand by my decision, though, and this does not diminish my love at all for this Halloween classic. I often forget that this is actually a Disney film, because it only ever comes out around Halloween and because the plot of witches eating children is a bit dark for them. But it still manages to be side-splittingly hilarious, with Bette Midler absolutely slaying this role that had to be written for her. This is one of those movies you absolutely have to watch every year, no matter what, it has cemented itself as a classic.

1. Beetlejuice

Of course, my number one pick has to be "Beetlejuice". This is another one that has cemented itself as a Halloween classic, one that must be watched every year with no exception. Michael Keaton is hysterical as the titular character, and no one else could've played Lydia Deetz like Winona Ryder did. The movie all around is quotable, creepy, extremely funny, and all around just fantastic. It's no surprise this is a Tim Burton flick, and it is undoubtedly one of his very best.