You Got This!

You Got This!

Take a deep breath!
26

Going to college is scary, especially when you're “dis”abled. A million questions pop into your head. Like, who’s gonna feed me, or what if my aide doesn't show up? I'm not going to sugarcoat this, and say it's going to be easy peasy lemon squeasy. Truth is, it's hard as hell! But you got this! Take it from me, I have Cerebral palsy which means that I can't talk or walk. After I got my acceptance letter from the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater, WI, I had the same questions that you probably have. Deep down inside, I was a scared little girl. I wanted to hide behind the covers, and never come out. But I have a semester under my belt, I got this! Here's some tips that can help you through this transition, and hopefully it can reassure you that you can do this.

1. You can do this!

When you want to give up, DON’T! You can do this! Keep your head up high, you don't want that crown to fall!

2. Be friends with your aides.

They aren't robots, they're just there to help you.

3. Your aide might not come.

Calm down, take a deep breath. This definitely tests your patience. Just email or text the company and they should get someone ASAP! If they don’t, then kick some butt!

4. When you're feeling overwhelmed

I know you have a zillion things on your mind, but it's okay! You're going to be just fine. Take it like a grain of salt.

5. You procrastinated.

Calm down, it's okay.… do it now, and drink Mountain Dew!

6. You don't think that you can turn the homework on time.

Just email your professor and be honest. Professors love when you contact them because it shows “responsibilities.”

7. Be social.

Forget “don't talk to strangers.” Talk to them! It isn't high school where the “cool” kids didn't talk to you. College is a wonderful world where people are accepting.

8. Go out for clubs and organizations!

This leads you to more friends that could lead to more opportunities. AND it's looks great on your job applications!

9. Midterms and finals week aren't that scary.

Sorry, I lied. They're just horrible!

10. DON’T GIVE UP!!

You can do this. I believe you can kick ass! It's hard, I know but it's all worth it.

11. When you get your diploma, think of Lydia! Yeah, she believed in you and she didn't even know your name!