"Thirteen Reasons Why" Book Review

"Thirteen Reasons Why" Book Review

47
"Thirteen Reasons Why" Book Review
Youtube

This story falls under multiple genres: psychological thriller, coming-of-age, Young Adult fiction, and tragedy. It could possibly be considered contemporary fiction. Thirteen Reasons Why was published on October 18th, 2007. This book was published by RazorBill, and the young adult imprint was of Penguin Books.

Thirteen Reasons Why is a story about this teenage girl who has committed suicide. Before she died, she created thirteen taps, for thirteen different people, who each serve as one reason as to why she made the choice to take her own life. The main character’s name is Clay Jensen, and he is the first to receive a tape. Each person, following, that receives a tape has to promise to not listen to any other tape but their own. If not, they must pass it on…

There is so much to this story, but I do not want to give away any information. The main thing that each character does take away is that the quietest people can have the biggest impact on a large amount. Asher did a great job bringing up an issue through a story in which it becomes relatable, and he has caused a sense of awareness to be developed. His word choices, his style, and the overall language of this story was very thought out, and it kept my attention the entire time. I was never let down, and I was always surprised when a new event occurred.

There are many good things about this story. The plot line is strong with its beginning, middle, and end. Second, Asher brings up a point that people face every day, and that is what it is like to live in a world where someone, who meant so much and were so sweet, took their own life. Third, this story has a sense of realism, and I think that is why it was so easy for this story to keep my attention. Finally, each character, each setting was developed and thought through thoroughly. I enjoyed it because it was easy to picture myself in the room, as a spectator, while everything was taking place.

I would most definitely recommend this book to every one of all ages. It is an interesting read with a topic that is hard to address as the use of its main plot structure.

To me, there was no negativity throughout this story. I was in love with every single part.

This book is a book that people should read because it is a fast read, and it gets into the minds of characters on an emotional level that some people cannot handle. The subject of suicide is a hard subject to address, and Asher, throughout this story, did an amazing job. I have read this story about four times, and there is nothing that I would change if I were the author. I would give this a ten out of ten for sure.