Thinking about starting a business?

Thinking about starting a business?

A students guide to starting a business while in college

32
Thinking about starting a business?
Entrepreneur Life

Everyone has a little bit of entrepreneurship in them, but only some make it a reality for themselves. Whether you have great business goals or just want to make a little extra to make sure you do not have to eat Ramen noodles the rest of the semester, you can start a business as a student. I interviewed five inspiring and ambitious students who own their own businesses. I believe that they gave some great advice.

The first person that I interviewed was Michael Van Johnson. He is the owner of Chocolate Broccoli Apparel. His clothing line may have a peculiar name, but it is very motivating. According to Van Johnson, "Chocolate Broccoli provides inspiration and empowers self confidence through Millennial-cultured products." When asked why he started this business, he said that he wanted to create a product that would allow people to express themselves and enable them to embrace to their individuality. "To love their chocolate and their broccoli." In the next five years, Van Johnson would like to have started an official Chocolate Broccoli line, be able to donate a higher percentage of proceeds to St. Jude's and his own personal charity, and to have his other businesses grow more together so he could be involved in more philanthropy. I think this is a very noble goal. I asked what advice he would give to other students who are interested in starting their own business. Van Johnson said that it would be best to start considering to start a business as soon as possible and he said this for two very good reasons. The first reason being that it is easier to take risks now than later when there are less variables such as families and bills to worry about. The second reason is you can take the time to work out the kinks and perfect your company. He said that this advice was given to him and because of it he has a very profitable business right now and another one in the works. If you are interested in this business or his products you can view them at www.choccoli.com

The next person I interviewed for my article was Baylie Brown, and she owns her own photography business. She provides families and individuals with beautiful captured moments. Her work is magnificent. She "hopes to create images that will tell stories truthfully and creatively." She started her business to set structure to a hobby that she loved and it was a way for her to brand her images and share her work with others. Her vision for the future in the next five years is to continue her business and to expand her clientele and bring on more photographers to help teach them how to make their pictures their own and hone their craft. She states that "she wants to be a helping hand to others, whether their in front of her lens or behind their own. Her advice to others considering starting their own business is to "just go for it!" She says "sometimes you fail, but that's how you learn. See how others are doing it, then make it your own." You can find her and her servants heart at bayliebrownphotography.com

Another person I interviewed was Mckenna Wilson. She is a makeup consultant and provider. She is great and very knowledgeable about makeup, I would know because she has done mine. She provides makeup, skin care, fragrances, makeup applicators, special event makeup consultations, and great customer service. She said that she started out just doing makeup for the love of it, but then decided that she could make a business out of it. She started up with Mary Kay makeup recently and has started selling products as well applying it. Her dreams for her business is to acquire a larger client base and to further her knowledge and skills by going to cosmetology school to add hair to her repertoire. She said that she would also like to gain a partner to be able to maintain and provide for her clientele. Her advice that she gives is to be willing to "spend a little to then make a little." She said you can do so, but you need to be able to draw the line at irresponsibility when it comes to handling finances in a business. I believe that is some solid advice. If you would like to learn more about Mckenna's talented services and products she provides you can find her on Instagram at @facesbymac!

I also interviewed Chelsea Riddle and she does nails. She provides "good quality shellac manicures at an affordable rate." She started her business because she had an "obsession" with having her nails painted. She said having her nails done always made her feel "put together". Her vision for her business is to go to school to learn how to do acrylic nails, because they are hard and take a lot of skill and talent to do correctly. She would love to one day work in a nail salon as a stylist. I believe that she would and will be great at that. Her advice for students thinking about opening up businesses is to do� what you love and don't give up. She also said to "be willing to invest in your business and to find fun and new ways to advertise." You can find examples of her amazing work on Instagram at @nailsbychelsriddle!

The last person I interviewed was Catlyn Sailor and she owns a party rental and entertainment business. This is an awesome idea. She "provides entertainment for children and families at an affordable rate so that low income families can also give a memory of a life time to their children." She provides characters like Mickey, Minnie, Elsa, and Cinderella who are commonly not as affordable to the average person if they want to include them on their special day. She initially began the business because a friend suggested that she looked like Elsa, so she decided that she could help others and make a business out of dressing up like her for parties. She has made a huge profit in doing so. She remembered growing up in a low income home and things like party entertainment would not be in the budget so she wanted to provide that for others. Her current vision for her business is to get a set venue so a setting can be provided for families to use and to expand her business and clientele. Her advice to others is to not jump in it for the numbers. "Do it because you have a passion and a love for it!" If you would like to reach Catlyn Sailor and her sweet services you can go www.frozenpartyplus.wix.com/arkansas-party-plus.

Here are five amazing testimonials and businesses to look into. Hopefully this provides you some inspiration and some nights without Ramen Noodles.