What Do You Think People Who Work in a Library Do?

Walk a Mile in My Shoes

18
Business Insider

When I started working for a public library at the beginning of December, I had no idea the extent of what I was to learn and the ongoing projects I'd be responsible for. Since working for three months, I have learned a lot, but I'm still no where near knowing every little thing about the library that I could. When starting, I believe I was under the illusion, possibly like a lot of people, that all people who work in a library do is read, work with patrons, and do the occasional programs. It ended up being so much more to it then that.

On my first day of work, I was told so many different things that it took me just a week to process everything I was told. Luckily, I learned fairly quickly and I enjoyed learning. I believe this to be true for every place that a person works at. They have a completely different idea than what it would be like to work there until they actually start doing it. It's completely understandable, as how can anyone know how something is unless they try it?

So, to answer the question, people who work in libraries do a lot of different job activities. Of course, the jobs vary depending on your position. I'm a library assistant and I wouldn't do the same work as a librarian. However, I do check in/out books, I assist patrons, I add magazines to our catalog, I clear out the magazines, I help make bookmarks, and I add paperback books to our shelves, to name a few.

I think it's always interesting to try and see things from other people's perspective's, step into their shoes if you will, and learn something new. Whether that be how their life is or how their job is. You simply don't know unless you research, ask, or do it yourself.

I'm still learning new things every day in the library and I still make mistakes. One thing I know for sure is that I do have a general understanding now of what people who work in a library do, and I'll remember it the next time I assume anything about a career.