So You Think You Know Greek Life

So You Think You Know Greek Life

“From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it.”

42
So You Think You Know Greek Life

Being involved in Greek life definitely has its perks, but there is a negative connotation. Sometimes it's difficult to deal with the negative stigma because all the positive and fun aspects of Greek life are excessively overlooked.

Don’t get me wrong; I wouldn’t trade my sorority for the world, but the stigma of Greek life has turned away people who, I believe, would love what the Greek community has to offer. There is a famous quote that sums up the contrast in opinion of Greek life:

This quote couldn't be more applicable. Growing up in a family involved in Greek life, I always knew I wanted to join a sorority. But, I never knew what it really meant to be a part of a sorority, until I joined Alpha Phi. Greek life is more than meets the eye. Naturally, being in Greek life you hear some things, and you can't help but laugh.

"Being in a sorority or fraternity is like buying friends."

Reality:Are you kidding? "Buying" friends. These girls and guys you meet in Greek life are 100 percent genuine. Although there are a few you won't get along with, you look over those small few. You may not have met these people without Greek life, but that's why people join clubs and organizations, to meet people you wouldn't ordinarily meet. You really connect and bond with these people, because you have common interests.

"All you do in a frat or sorority is party."

Well DUH... who doesn't want to party?!

Reality: But in all seriousness, there's a lot more to Greek life than just partying. There's study groups, sisterhood retreats, philanthropy, humorology and many more activities (that, yes, some do involve partying). Need I remind you, each sorority and fraternity has a designated charity whom they raise money for all year. Partying is not the priority.

"Greeks only care about each other."

Reality: I don't know where this one came from. I have plenty of friends that aren't in Greek life. Most of my dormmates, my classmates and my own roommate are not involved in Greek life, yet I still hang out with them on a daily basis. Yes, I admit that it is easier to make friends when you know someone has a common interest, like Greek life. But no one, I know, discriminates against Greeks and non-Greeks.

"Greeks are not the brightest."

Reality:Just because students are in Greek life, we aren't smart? In order to be in a sorority, you must attain and maintain a preset GPA, and your sisters and brothers give advice and study tips for classes. I know almost every week, my sorority has study tables and a Facebook group page dedicated to asking and giving advice about majors, classes, teachers and etc.

"Greek life is all about the spirit wear."

Reality:Okay. This one is pretty accurate. I mean have you seen some of the spirit wear? It's adorable.

But, it's what the letters stand for. We love representing our letters because we are proud of our sorority or fraternity and like to give the letters a good name. We put a lot of work into this organization, and we are proud of it.

"Greek life is all about status and tiers."

Reality:Although there may be some rivalries, it's all in good fun. Greek life is one big community, and it's a great way to make a big college feel smaller. All the different sororities and fraternities have a special bond; it's like friendly competition, especially in Greek life events and humo. At the end of the day we all love each other and respect one another.