The Truth About Being Too Blunt

To The Girl Who Has No Filter, It’s Time To Think Before You Speak

You say it like it is and for the most part that is a great thing; except when it is not.

83

To the girl who cannot keep her mouth shut,

I have seen the pain you have brought others. The first thing that pops into your head is the first thing that comes out of your mouth. You do not let anything register and tend to spit fire.

I know you do not mean to bring harm to other people. You are a blunt and upfront person. You say it like it is and for the most part that is a great thing; except when it is not.

It is not okay when you are trying to have a civil conversation and you let your emotions get in the way. You get hurt by what someone says and instead of conveying that you completely take the issue out on the person. You do not like people who are fake; liars are even worse. Yet, are you not as bad for lashing out at them, letting your emotions get the best of you, as they are when they do these things to you?

I am not saying you should not stand up for yourself. You always should. However, there is a difference between standing up for yourself and attacking another person. You cannot let your anger get the best of you. It is important to be heard but it is also important to hear others.

I hope that you will not take what I am saying as an attack on your character. I am saying this because I can personally see the pain that this brings to not only those around you but also yourself. You are a good person who truly wants to love those around her. So why are you not doing that?

God calls us to love EVERYONE; even those who do not agree with you and whom you personally may not like. He calls us to turn the other cheek and let Him shine in times where we feel nothing but distaste and anger.

I realize that you are going to fall short; no one is perfect. However, when you do fall short remember one thing: it happened and it's done. If put in that situation again, what would you do to fix it? How are you going to make sure this does not happen again?

Being blunt has its perks but there is also a time and a place for it. As Christians, we should worry about other people's feelings. We should know the difference between what is too far and what needs to be said.

This does not mean that we should change who we are to fit other people. It means we need to realize that not everyone thinks and feels the same way we do. That is okay.

Just because you may not agree and like someone does not mean that you need to go out of your way to hurt them. I have lost friendships that I care tremendously about because I let my emotions get the best of me and did not simply think before I spoke.

Mistakes are going to be made. Words cannot be taken back. So please, remember that the next time you decide to say something that could change everything.

Love,

The girl who needs to take this advice