17 Things That, Somehow, Your Mom Was 100% Right About

Yep, that guy was an ass.
8203

For some reason, we never want to believe our moms are right. Somehow, "they don't know our lives" or "they just don't understand" even though they have been through all the ages we have been and then have had 20+ years to reflect on them.

Mom, I know you already know this, but you were right.

1. That guy was an asshole and not worth my time

I know you said this about 100 times, but you have to understand, the guy who secretly had a girlfriend and tried to date me anyway made a really compelling argument the second time around!

2. And there was definitely something a little "off" about that girl

I still don't know how everyone you said in elementary school was a "bad influence" on me now has a drug problem, unplanned child, criminal record or some combination of all 3, but you truly hit the nail on the head.

3. That hairstyle looked absolutely ridiculous

I'm not sure why I used to give myself fake bangs out of my full-length hair or clip in colorful streaks (while leaving the clip in plain sight), but my 12-year-old self thought I looked amazing. But as you warned, I did not.

4. I should have just stuck with lip gloss

I know you said I could only wear lip gloss as makeup for a while, but for some reason, I was adamant about creating inch-wide eyeliner marks on my eyes, bright pink blush and red lipstick. Looking back, I most certainly should have listened.

5. I needed a coat all of those times

"I have long sleeves, I'll be fine!" Nope.

6. Sending thank-you notes is a necessary part of being an adult

What I used to consider an over-bearing waste of time is now something I feel like a complete and total asshole if I don't do. It is still tedious, but very necessary.

7. Cleaning your space on a regular basis is not "a waste of time"

As annoying as it is, sometimes (regularly) I need to deep clean my room and bathroom. I still hate it, but boy is it important.

8. I may still fail to do it, but I understand the importance of separating my laundry

My pink shirts that used to be white are angry I still refuse to abide by this law, but don't think that doesn't mean I don't know you're right about it.

9. Just because I fit inside of those pants does not mean that they fit

There is a vast difference between the two, a difference that needed to be hammered into my head.

10. None of the things I thought mattered in middle school ended up mattering

You were right: Missing one 7th grade volleyball game didn't ruin my athletic career or social status. How did you know?!

11. I am not going to be single forever

There were a lot of times in high school after I'd been kicked to the curb (by yet another man you told me was a waste of time, yes, I know) that I started believing that maybe I'd never find anybody to love me. But guess what? Someone did! You knew it!

12. That rumor in high school never amounted to anything earth shattering

It seems like the end of the world while its happening, and even though it meant nothing to me when you said it, nothing ever came of it.

13. My metabolism slowed down and my eating habits came back to haunt me

You were right that pizza three times a week was not a sustainable choice and would eventually come back and haunt my lanky body, and the freshman 15 (40?) definitely proved that one to be true. Oops!

14. Immediately blowing the money I made was not a fiscally responsible decision

"But I earned it!" wasn't a good excuse when I got my first ever paycheck at Abercrombie and is not a good excuse now.

15. I have realized how infuriating it is when people don't clean up after themselves

"You'll realize how annoying it is when your kids leave dishes out in your clean house!" Nope, all it took was a roommate with the inability to wash a dish to realize you were right about that one!

16. A good night's sleep can fix just about anything

Sickness, stress, you name it: Going to bed helps some.

17. My mom is "cool"

All those times you said that you were a cool mom, well, I guess your streak stays alive because you were pretty damn right about that one, too.