Things I Would Tell My Young Self

Things I Would Tell My Young Self

An Open Letter to the Past

11
Things I Would Tell My Young Self

We often hear people talk about things that they would tell their past selves. It is very common for us to look back at certain times of our lives and think "Wow! I can't believe I struggled with that!". Although we cannot go back and actually change things, we tend to revisit the past. Here are some things that I would tell myself, if given the opportunity.

To my elementary-school self: Enjoy how simple things are, because it won't last long. Don't worry so much about what the big kids get to do that you don't, because one day you'll be a grownup and you won't have a choice. Embrace your innocence and enjoy all of the time that you get to spend with your grandparents. So many people never even get to know their families.

To my middle-school self: Things. Will. Get. Better. This is only a rough patch, and just one stepping stone of many along the walk that we call life. This is the time in your life where you're desperate for freedom, to be able to drive, and to be able to work and have your own life. Slow down. You don't have to grow up as fast as the other kids tell you that you should. The weird changes that you're going through will all amount to something sooner than you think, and you will grow both physically and mentally into beautiful woman. Find what you believe in and stand your ground.

To my high-school self: Learn as much as you can. Focus on your goals, and try not to let all of the drama and hormones distract you so much. Figure out what you want to do for college and set your sights on your future. You can reach the highest goals that you work for. Work hard for good grades, because college is expensive. Remember that the world changes, and so will you and your life. Respect yourself and others. Create as much art as you can; self expression is a healthy outlet and it will help you through so many struggles and obstacles that you will encounter. Stick to what you believe in. Don't change yourself for anybody; if you do change anything, let it be for the better and for your own happiness. Don't let relationships affect you so much; in just a few years you will meet the man that will change your life forever.