Things To Remember As The Holidays Approach

It's not just about the best Christmas present.

11
Semok

Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Hannukah, etc. -- with winter comes a multitude of what seems to be everyone's favorite holidays. While it's easy to get caught up in the antics of going to the hottest New Years party, baking the best Christmas cookies, or giving/receiving the best Christmas present, there are some things that are important to remember during this special time of year.

1. Not everyone has enough money to buy a spectacular Christmas present.

Keep this in mind the next time you consider bragging about the amazing Christmas present you just got your mom or dad. Or, your sister, brother, significant other, and anyone of that sort. While there's nothing wrong with being proud of what you got that person you care about, there's a time and a place (and a way) to talk about your gift.

2. This is their first time without him.

Some people experienced losses very close to their hearts this year, and this is going to be their first holiday(s) without him or her. Keep these people in your thoughts and prayers, and go out of your way to check on them. Even if this isn't their first holiday without him or her, it's still going to be tough, and those people could still probably use your love and support.

3. There are people who won't get any Chrsitmas presents this year.

While there may be nothing you can do about this, it's worth considering that there are people this year who won't get a single thing for Christmas, regardless of how good they've been. If you're financially stable, consider donating to organizations that give to the less fortunate. Regardless of your financial standing, use this as a reminder to be grateful for what you have.

4. "Happy Holidays!"

While "Merry Christmas!" might be more appealing to you, it's important to remember that "Happy Holidays" is an easy way to please everyone's religious (or non-religious) preferences during this holiday season. If you celebrate Christmas, instead of getting offended at hearing "Happy Holidays," appreciate that someone is wishing you well, or pray for that person or invite them to church.

5. If you celebrate CHRISTmas...

If you celebrate Christmas, remember what Christmas is about. It's not about the vacation from school or work, or getting everything on your Christmas list, or giving your kids/friends everything on their Christmas lists. Christmas signifies the birth of a Saviour, which is the only reason that salvation is possible... which is the only reason forgiveness is a thing. Remember this the next time someone cuts you off while you're in line to checkout with Christmas gifts. Or when you're on your way to church. Or when your family member asks you for the third time if you have a boyfriend yet.

6. It's a time to be thankful.

It's easy to get caught up in the latest Black Friday deals, or having the most attractive Christmas lights display. It's easy to get frustrated with the in-laws, and it's easy to get stressed out by Christmas lists, parties, and significant others over the holidays. Make sure to take a step back and realize that this is an important time to take everything in and enjoy the memories. Take the time to be thankful for everything you already have, instead of being worried about everything that you have yet to do.

7. Family

Whether you love them or you hate them (or both), it's important to spend time with your family over the holidays. You might get a break from school or work and it might be tempting to use this as a break from your family too, but remember that they're the reason you are who you are, and the holidays wouldn't be half the fun without them.