5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going Off To College

No matter how many years you have under your belt; everyone can benefit from these helpful tips and tricks.

64
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=organized&stocks_type=free&image_id=16365686643316147820
Personal Photo

Your first year of college is meant to be filled with crazy fun while experimenting with your newfound freedom. You're guaranteed to have some of the best and worst times while learning to survive on your own; I know I sure have. We've all been waiting our entire lives for the day we finally get to move out of our parents' house and get out on our own, but it's not always as easy as it looks. If you're anything like me, you were searching to discover the hidden tips and tricks to adjusting to the college life. There are definitely a few things I wish someone would've told me before I walked through the old, rusty doors of Ross Hall as my first day as a freshman. Hopefully, these few tips will be helpful for you, too.

1. It's perfectly okay to take a rest day.

Kaboompics

Listening to your body is one of the most important roles of learning to survive on your own. If you've pulled one too many all-nighters and had too many espresso shots in one single week, it's okay to give your body a break. I'm not saying that's a free pass to procrastinate and get behind in other classes, but it never hurts to make time for yourself and take that desperate four-hour nap your brain needs to function on a Monday morning.

2. Get & stay organized!

Flickr

My favorite college accessory is and has always been my personal planner. Not only is it helpful to keep track of every single assignment and due date, but it's also a great tool to declutter your thoughts. Take a few minutes after class to jot down what's due next week and so forth, you'll thank yourself later for saving yourself from yet another anxiety attack.

3. Study before "the night before."

Unsplash

This is much easier said than done; believe me, I know. A great way I like to prepare for an exam is to set aside times to study throughout the week. I'm much more likely to sit down and study if I already have it written down in my daily planner. Yes, every once and a while you'll find yourself stuck in the library pulling an all-nighter the night before a huge exam; but try to give yourself a break and prepare for your exams ahead of time.

4. Make time for social time.

Unsplash

Of course, your academics are most important during your college career, but social time is vital! If you can push aside your homework for the evening to go grab dinner with some friends or reschedule your library date for a fun night out, I would always recommend it. Your books will always be there waiting for you when you get back!

5. But don't be afraid of spending time alone.

Dreamstime

Some of the best days are spent alone, especially when you're in need of a break from a hectic college schedule. It's perfectly okay to tell your friends no every once in a while (even if it means you catch a case of FOMO). Put time aside to clean out your closet, listen to your favorite songs, actually write in your planner, or just to catch up and get organized. Whatever it may be that you've been putting off, don't ever turn down time to love on yourself every once and awhile. After all, college life is definitely not as easy as it looks.

With move-in day only being weeks away, I feel more than ready to take on my second year of college and whatever else is thrown my way. And for you soon-to-be freshmen reading this as well, you're in great hands for the best four years of your life.