Ways To Prepare For College

10 Things To Do Before School Starts

No matter what age you are, these tips can help you get ready for this year.

3
10 Things To Do Before School Starts
Missouri State University

As an incoming freshman, I have almost no idea of what to expect from college. No amount of research can really prepare one for that experience. Move-in isn't far away, and I find myself constantly thinking about what I need, if I have everything ready, and what else I can do to prepare. So, after some research and deep thought, I'v compiled this list of things to do before school starts, no matter what year you're going into.

1. Make a packing list

If one isn't provided for you, make a list of everything you may potentially need. If you already have a list, add to it, because your needs and wants are specific. Start early, so that you have more time to think of all the random things.

2. Organize your laptop

Get rid of old files, delete duplicate pictures, make sure everything is up to date and functioning. Simple, but helpful.

3. Make your playlists

Doing this beforehand can help save time later, when you're studying and can't find anything good to listen to. Or for just hanging out on campus. Or for falling asleep. You know what you need.

4. Prep your planner

Fill in your class times, school breaks, activities, and anything else that is happening or that you'd go to. Having it filled in before the year starts saves so much time and stress. Just sit down and do it.

5. Check the weather

Even if your college isn’t very far from you, it’s good to know what to expect weather-wise. For example, in my case, I’ve been told that when it rains, our campus floods, so I know to invest in rain boots.

6. Write out a schedule every day

Even though it's still summer, it'll be easier going to school if you're already used to having a schedule. I've been really lazy this summer, but having a set schedule recently has helped me feel like I’ll be prepared.

7. Find a job

Easier said than done. Not always necessary, but having a steady source of income is always a plus.

Somebody is always hiring, on and off-campus. Linkedin and other job-finding apps have been really beneficial in my own job hunt, as well as my university's student job page.

8. Find your textbooks

Even if you’re waiting until classes start to order textbooks, know what they are, where they are, and how much they are. I’ve found some great deals online for textbooks outside of my campus bookstore.

9. Make a list of classes for next semester 

Do a little research to know what you want to take next semester so that when you register for classes you don't have to wonder. Plus, you're bound to get what you want. Early bird gets the worm.

10. Give in to your material side

Cut your hair, go through your wardrobe, go thrift shopping, buy some new decor. Doesn't have to be expensive, but new clothes boost confidence. Fact. And confidence is key.

I hope this list helps to eliminate stress and give a better idea of what to do. Writing this out definitely helped me figure it out a little more. Try not to worry too much. We'll all be okay. Good luck!