10 Places To Visit In Illinois, Besides The Windy City

Take the long way on some backroads in Illinois

276
Corrine Harding

When people hear of Illinois, they think of one big thing, Chicago. Whether it has to do with sports teams, the food, or TV shows. Chicago is a huge part of Illinois, but it is not the only part of the state. Growing up in downstate Illinois and having the opportunity to travel all over the Land of Lincoln, I have realized that there is truly so much to see besides the Windy City. As temperatures continue to rise and summer has officially started, here are the ten places to visit in Illinois outside the Chicagoland area.

1. Starved Rock

If nature is calling your name, then traveling up north to Starved Rock State Park is the place for you. This natural wonder has been named the #1 attraction in the state of Illinois, and it is because it's beautiful views like rock formations or waterfalls, opportunities to fish and boat, and most importantly a chance to relax is what sets it apart from the rest. There are countless opportunities to remove yourself from your hectic life and enjoy the natural beauty of Illinois. You can camp or stay at different resorts nearby the state park to make the perfect weekend getaway.

2. Moline

The Quad-Cities, but specifically Moline has a lot to offer for a fun day trip. Home of the John Deere Global Headquarters, you can tour the John Deere Museum and learn more about the agricultural innovation happening in Illinois. If your sweet tooth is calling, the Steel Plow Burger Company may be your best friend. There you can indulge in giant gravity-defying towers of sweets. These shakes are perfect for the 'Gram and a trip to your local dentist. If these shakes weren't enough for you, stop by Whiteys Ice Cream for a scoop (or two) of some of the best ice cream you can get.

3. Bloomington-Normal

Bloomington is home to the global headquarters of State Farm, Illinois State University, and Upper Limits, an indoor rock climbing gym inside of renovated grain bins. This is a chance to branch out in your adventurous side while appreciating architecture formally used for the agriculture industry. According to Nielsen data, Bloomington is home to the most restaurants per capita in the entire nation. If you visit the Bloomington-Normal area, you have plenty of opportunities to venture out and try new restaurants. Visiting here is anything but normal.

4. Peoria

Visiting Peoria can give you the opportunity to see Mid-West native animals at Wildlife Prairie Park, whether you want to see bison, black bears, or a butterfly exhibit there are endless opportunities to see the natural wonders of Central Illinois. If you have always wanted to outside of the country to see animals, but don't know if you have enough money for a trip like that, the Peoria Zoo is prepared to take you on a trip to Africa, Asia, and Australia all in one visit. If you enjoy country music, you need to check out Tailgate and Tallboys, where several weekends throughout the summer country singers and bands from all over come and play right on the riverfront.

The Peoria Chiefs may not be the Chicago Cubs, but going to one of their games gives you the chance to enjoy an all American baseball game and an opportunity to watch fireworks after the game! If you are a fan of burgers and being next to the water, going to Burger Barge is the place for you. There you feel like you have been transported to Margaritaville and you may wonder if you will get food poisoning afterward, but trust me, they have some of the best burgers you can get in the area and you feel on vacation while enjoying your meal.

5. Springfield

Whether you are a history buff, a connoisseur of food, or love a good adventure, Springfield is the location for you. Being the homeland of Abraham Lincoln, you can check out the Abraham Lincoln Presidental Museum and Library right in the heart of Springfield. Visiting the tomb of Lincoln is another landmark to visit while in Springfield. If trying new food is an important part of a trip for you, make sure to stop by a local restaurant and try the Springfield created Horseshoe. Which is two pieces of bread, some meat of your choice (hamburger or chicken tenders are my faves), fries, and then covered with cheese sauce.

Your arteries may clog afterward, but it is definitely worth it. Some of my favorite Springfield restaurants for horseshoe are Dublin's Pub, Obed and Isaac's, and Rit'z Lil' Fryer. If you enjoy go-carting, water parks, or going to a driving range, Knight's Action Park is the place for you. You can end your night right next door to the amusement park at the Route 66 Twin Drive-In movie theater.

6. Allerton Park

Visiting Allerton Park in Monticello, Illinois lets you take a step back in time and experience some unique sights special to the area. While walking through the trails, you may come across some interesting landmarks. Whether you find the Sunken Gardens or the Chinese Fu Dog Statues, Allerton Park has a lot to offer anyone who comes to visit. This park is home to the 4H Camps and Illinois FFA Leadership Camp where students from all over the state can visit. They have events throughout the year to appreciate the beauty of the park.

7. Champaign-Urbana

Visiting the home of the University of Illinois can make you feel like you are in college. Whether you want to eat greasy food, like at Fat Sandwich (you can get mozzarella sticks and chicken tenders a sandwich) or you can visit Curtis Orchard and get some fresh apples, take some pictures with pumpkins, watch the Wicked Orchard Air Cannon, and so much more. It is like it is fall, all the time! Doing yoga with goats have become a popular trend on social media, and Champaign-Urbana does not fall short.

Going to Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery can give you the chance to play with goats, eat gelato, and also participate in yoga with goats. If you are a movie fan and also love renewable energy, go drive to the Harvest Moon Drive-In movie theatre this combines two of your favorite things. This drive-in movie theater is actually powered by wind turbines!

8. Casey

Casey, Illinois is a small town that boasts seven World's Largest Items, whether you check out the world's largest pair of Wooden Shoes or the largest mailbox. This may be a small town, but they are definitely thinking big. Getting a picture of these items will take your Instagram to a whole new level. If you are a fan of taking "The Long Way" around, you can take a 40-minute drive from Casey to visit Paris, Illinois which is the hometown of the country singer Brett Eldredge.

9. Metropolis

You don't have to have superpowers to visit Metropolis, Illinois. Visiting this small town in Southern Illinois lets you feel like you belong in the comic books. Home of Superman, you have plenty of opportunities to take selfies for your Snapchat friends and get the chance to explore this small town right in the state of Illinois.

10. Garden Of The Gods

Visiting Shawnee National Forest in gives you the feeling that you are no longer in Illinois anymore. This forest encompasses a large portion of Southern Illinois, Southern Illinois University Carbondale's campus is actually in the middle of the forest! If you are exploring the forest, you must check out the Garden of the Gods. There you can hike, check out the rock formations, and feel yourself fall in love with the state of Illinois. Make sure to look for Camel Rock while at the Garden of the Gods, it is one of the highlights of the trip. Every day is humpday at the Garden of the Gods.

There is so much to see in Illinois besides these ten locations, there are towns with two-story outhouses, places that feel like you are in New Orleans because of their porches, and so much more! If you take the chance to do a road trip around the state of Illinois, crank up some Brett Eldridge, get some of your closest friends, and go see what life is like outside of the big city. The next time you think of Illinois, don't assume that Chicago is the only thing to the state. Pack your bags, drop your diet for a few days, and go explore Illinois.