20 Things To Do At Home That Don't Involve A Screen

20 Things To Do At Home That Don't Involve Staring At A Screen For Hours

Here are some activities to keep you entertained besides watching Netflix for hours.

200

Most of these activities can be done for free and without staring at screens.

1. Do a puzzle!

Ivy Robinson

Whether it's 100 pieces or 1000, puzzles are a mind-working hobby that gives your eyes a much-needed break from screens.

Some alternatives are word searches, crossword puzzles, or Rubik's cubes.

2. Practice/Learn an instrument

man playing acoustic guitar selective focus photographyPhoto by Jacek Dylag on Unsplash

If you have an instrument that you haven't played in years, dust it off and get to playing! If you don't have one, you could easily make one out of household objects.

3. Write something

fountain pen on black lined paperPhoto by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

Whether it's a letter, diary, poem, or song, writing can be very therapeutic. Sometimes it can be relaxing to just let your feelings out on paper.

4. Learn a new language

letter wood stamp lotPhoto by Amador Loureiro on Unsplash

Now, I find it easiest to use Duolingo. Yes, it is on a screen, but once you have gained basic knowledge, you can make vocabulary lists and practice with friends.

5. Read a book

photo of library with turned on lightsPhoto by 🇸🇮 Janko Ferlič on Unsplash

Books are amazing! There are books for everyone, no matter their age or interests.

6. Meditate/Yoga

woman doing yoga meditation on brown parquet flooringPhoto by Jared Rice on Unsplash

Meditation and yoga can be very uplifting experiences. You can find peace with your inner self and just ignore worldly issues for a little while.

7. At-home spa day

Gardener votive candle on tablePhoto by Nico on Unsplash

Some ideas for this activity are taking a hot bath/shower, doing a foot bath, relax in a robe and slippers, paint your nails, light some candles, or do a full skin routine.

8. Do an art project

three silver paint brushes on white textilePhoto by Anna Kolosyuk on Unsplash

Paint a room, do paper-mache, up-cycle some old clothes, follow a Bob Ross tutorial, or sketch your dream house. There are endless varieties in the world of art.

9. Play some games

six assorted-color dicePhoto by Robert Coelho on Unsplash

Board games or card games are excellent for some quality family time. There are even some single-player games like solitaire for when you don't want to be around family.

10. Clean or Organize Something

assorted-color container lotPhoto by Edgar Chaparro on Unsplash

You could start with just a cabinet or go for cleaning the entire house! This is also a good time to try on ALL your clothes and make a donation pile. Marie Kondo would be very proud!

11. Bake or cook

wooden ladle and spatula on top of tablePhoto by Calum Lewis on Unsplash

Pull out those old recipe books and get to work! For a little bit of "risk", flip to a random page and bake or cook whatever you land on.

12. Work out

orange and black usb cable on brown wooden surfacePhoto by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

Follow some home workouts to get yourself back in shape after months of downtime!

13. Make a fort

www.youtube.com

This is a nostalgic experience to change the rooms you have been staring at for WAY too long.

14. Change your hair

Photo by Luis Quintero on Unsplash

Mild: part it the other way, braid it, curl it, straighten it, try a wig

Extreme: cut it, dye it, shave it all off

15. Make a scrapbook

flatlay photography of stuffs on white surfacePhoto by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Fill a book with all your favorite pre-isolation memories.

16. Make a list

person writing bucket list on bookPhoto by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash

List ideas: bucket list, favorite movies/TV shows, friends/family, to-do list, etc.

17. Rearrange your furniture

Rearranging your furniture can give an updated feel to your current coronavirus prison.

18. Train your pet (or child)

dog balancing on wheelPhoto by Kevin Jarrett on Unsplash

Pet: teach them to shake, roll over, sit, speak, or anything else that is relevant to your pet

Child: potty-train them, or teach them how to get a cup of water, or do the laundry (varies greatly on the age of the child)

If you don't have any pets or children, teach yourself something new!

19. Build something

Jengga blocks during daytimePhoto by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

Whether it is a lego set, Jenga tower, or a piece of IKEA furniture, building can be a productive use of your time.

20. Switch hands for a day

person's left palmPhoto by Kira auf der Heide on Unsplash

Try using your non-dominant hand for some basic activities, or challenge yourself to try something difficult.