14 Things They May Not Tell You About College

Maybe you've heard some of these, maybe not, but here are some things I wish I would have known before I got into the chaos called college.

5
Facebook-Victoria Aurand

As summer rushes by and another fall semester rapidly approaches I can't help but reflect on my college years that are already behind me and way I chose to live them. I love my school and all that it has given and offered me thus far, but there are just a few things that aren't exactly givens that may help if you are going to college for the first time (or maybe just need a refresher or a good laugh).

1. Wearing your lanyard around your neck 24/7 is a no go.

This is slightly acceptable for the first week during orientation and maybe the next few days, but it's not a habit I would recommend continuing. Looking back at pictures, it's something I wish I hadn't done, but you win some, you lose some. On the other hand, you shouldn't let anyone tell you what and what not to do. As long as you are good with everyone knowing you are a freshie and giving you a funky look, you do you.

2. Don't close yourself off from new friendships right when you find a small group of friends you are happy with.

Give each new person the chance before your shut yourself down and be glad with who you have! You never know why or when the best people could be coming into your life, so just give yourself that opportunity!

3. Eat at the caf and use your meal plan.

It's probably not the best food you've ever had, but you or whoever is paying for school has paid for it ahead time, so get your money's worth. I'm sure you can find something to eat and when you don't have access to it anymore, you may just miss the easy accessibility of dining halls.

4. Get involved in as much as you can and then eliminate things as you decide what is and isn't for you.

If your school has an event where there is clubs and organizations present, check it out! You are so much better off to find all the options you have and get involved. If you pick a bunch of things and then get overwhelmed you can remove the things you don't like, but who knows what opportunities you will miss if you are hesitant to join groups!

5. Form a relationship with your roommate.

You don't have to be best friends. You don't even have to be friends. But I would strongly recommend forming some short of relationship! My roommate from freshman year continues to be and is my bff, so I can speak highly to how awesome that is! However, if that's not you, make an effort to at least get to know them or talk a little bit. After all, you are in a similar position no matter where you come from or who you are! You never know what you may have in common.

6. The gym is most likely free. Take advantage of it.

I know the last thing you want to do after a long day or week of classes is hike all the way across campus, up all the hills, to go to the gym - but your future self will be happy! Most schools include the cost of the gym in tuition, so even if you don't use it you are paying for it. There is so much more besides just workout equipment at gyms as well! Many have group courses, basketball, volleyball and racquetball courts, and so many more opportunities to work out and have a good time.

7. Regarding the previous, freshman 15 is (most likely) going to be real.

I hope that this isn't true for you, but if it is, it's not bad. No it's not super fun, however you are growing up and maturing and it is OK. I'll say it again: it's OK. Maybe you are not OK with it and you work twice as hard to lose it all and more, good for you. Maybe you gained 30 instead of 15, good for you. Whatever point of the spectrum you are at, be happy with yourself and where you have come. You are beautiful and are going to kill it in college. Do whatever makes you happy and don't let anyone tell you differently.

8. Skipping class is not all the rage.

No you do not have to go to every single class. This isn't high school, and you don't have to call in. But when everyone tells you it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea. Everyone is guilty of it once in a while, but nothing good comes from spending time outside the classroom when you could be learning and improving your chances to become a better student.

9. Balance the new friendships with the old.

This is so much easier said then done, but it pays off. It's hard to find that happy median. I have found happiness in keeping close and in touch with a handful from high school while still forming and growing in the new college friendships. It's also a really cool feeling when the two can combine, when they get to meet each other and even become friends. It makes my heart warm and I would seriously recommend it.

10. Use your money wisely, but it's acceptable (and expected) to not have a ton.

Delivery and online shopping will become your best friend if you, like me, don't have a car on campus. It isn't easy to resist that $7.99 pizza that's been on commercials all night and by all means submit and smash that entire large pizza (whether by yourself or with others). Just try and be slightly mindful of where you are spending your cash flow. It's nice to have a little extra in your pocket for a rainy day, but don't be hesitant to buy yourself something you deserve!

11. 8 a.m. is not as late as it seems.

Yes, we all know in high school first or second period was already well under way. But I am telling you, you will hate yourself each and every morning you drag yourself out of bed and across campus on foot to that all to early, most likely boring 8 a.m. Just don't do it. Believe me.

12. Shower shoes are a strong choice.

Whether you have a community or suite style bathrooms, it's never a bad option to pick up some cheap flip-flops and keep them just to shower in. Even if you know everyone who shares your shower, you never know. And although it's slightly annoying at first, it's probably worth it.

13. You are gonna be unhappy at times.

It's not all butterflies, unicorns and rainbows. College is hard, especially at the beginning. There is a lot of new being thrown at you at once and being in a whole new place doesn't really make it any easier. Give yourself time to get adjusted and used to everything that has just changed for the first time and a long time, or ever. It will most likely be one of the best years yet, you just have to let it.

14. Your best experiences lie outside your comfort zone.

Similar to the previous, this entire experience is new. You have never done any of this before and neither has anyone else. Allow yourself to open up to any and everything this new world has to offer you. Looking back, I would not have my best friends or my best memories if I hadn't allowed myself to be moved beyond where I thought I was comfortable. That doesn't mean doing everything others want you to or something you don't think is right. Simply be willing to do things you didn't think you could and it may lead you into some of the best things.