I Think Perfect Is Overrated, But There Are 14 Things I Should Be Doing Better

I've grown so much, but I still have so far to go.

104
Erin Alzapiedi

College has taught me so much about myself over the past 2 years and I am so proud of the ways in which I've grown. However, there is still so much room for improvement. I don't want to say that I don't like who I've become in college, because I've learned a lot about how to put myself first sometimes, but there are some things I want to do better.

I often joke with my friends that I peaked in high school. While I don't totally believe it, I do know I used to be better at these things than I am now.

1. Remembering the names of new friends or coworkers.

I'm seriously so bad at this one that it's actually embarrassing at times. It's not that I don't care what everyone's name is, it's just that there's a lot of stuff going on in my brain up there and sometimes names are what get the boot.

2. Remembering the faces to match those names.

I can frequently remember a face or a name, but it takes a while to put them together. There's a reason teachers always do that thing where they creepily study each face during the first few days of attendance. I just need to be more aware of it.

3. Really listening when people talk to me.

Yeah, ok, so I listen now. It's not like I'm staring at my phone when people talk or not making eye contact. My brain just gets distracted sometimes. I should be consciously focusing on listening. Hundreds of studies show that listening to listen, rather than listening to continue a conversation, can actually create deeper connections and relationships.

4. Procrastinating less

I spend so much of my "free time" worrying about all of the stuff I have to get done later. It's no wonder I never feel relaxed or motivated to work on personal projects. I want to get my work done ASAP so I can feel free to do whatever. Spontaneous picnics, make a film, write a book, I can do it all if I'm not hung up on other responsibilities.

5. Putting my phone down more.

Sure, the industries I want to work for are very social media heavy, so I do need to keep up with it. But the inspiration for projects I want to work on come from life, which is what happens all around while my nose is in my phone answering emails and replying to comments.

6. Staying in touch with long-distance friends.

We are all so busy and we use it as an excuse for why we never catch up. If I decide to try harder and stop using a busy schedule as a cop-out, maybe it'll work out... eventually. Somebody has to make the effort or it will never ever happen.

7. Reading more books.

I used to always have a book on me when I left my room. Now I carry books, but they're all for my courses. I miss staying up all night with a teeny, tiny, little lamp because I had to know what would happen next. Plus, finishing a book feels like an accomplishment.

8. Spending more time outside.

I used to spend my summers biking, hiking, camping, fishing, boating, and doing anything and everything that was outside. Now I hardly go outside because my laptop inherently hates the sunlight. It's time to put down the computer and get my butt back in the sun.

9. Going to bed earlier.

Unless I'm reading the aforementioned books or going to concerts and events, what possible reason is there to stay up until 2 am. I'm sorry, but there is no homework assignment, movie, or email that is worth it. Plus, going to bed earlier means getting up earlier, and getting up earlier means more time outside in the sunlight.

10. Focusing on the positive.

I've been saying this a lot lately, but negativity is everywhere, and nobody needs to get it from me too. There is something positive in every day, I have to find that positive thing and focus on it. I'm not horribly negative to begin with, at least I try not to be, but I can definitely get better.

11. Creating something, creating anything, creating everything.

Writing, photography, a short film, a painting, just everything, I need to create everything. My best friends have always been made while creating something. I'm most proud of my work when I've created something. There's a chance to help people when I'm creating things. It just needs to happen.

12. Trying to meet new people.

Everyone likes making new friends, but most people don't want to the be the person that walks up to a stranger and starts talking. I'm not going to lie, doing that gives me the worst anxiety, but that's how I've made some of my best friends. I've gotten too comfortable doing the same things with the same people all the time, why not take a chance?

13. Making more time for family.

It's especially hard to stay connected with family when I'm living away from home. I can only imagine that will get harder as I travel and eventually move out for real. My family is a large part of why I am who I am and I'm so thankful to have them. I'm just not always the best at making sure they know it.

14. Giving back to people who have less than I do.

I don't know if this means donating things I don't use anymore, volunteering in soup kitchens, building houses with habitat for humanity, or just passing on skills I've learned to people who share my interests. I'm lucky to have had the experiences and privileges I've grown up with, the least I can do is help others who haven't.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not perfect, I don't know anyone who is. If I can work on this list, I won't be any closer to perfect, perfect is overrated anyway. What I will be is a better friend, a better daughter, a better cousin, and a better human.