11 Things You Realize When You're A Part-Time New Yorker

24

You'd think moving a few states away wouldn't induce a culture shock, yet here I am surprised at just how different life in New York is from anywhere else. Moving from Westchester, where NYC was just an express ride away, to Durham, NH, where a ride to the mall is about the same travel time, was a major shift. As a part-time resident of NY, I've learned a few things about moving out of it.

1. As soon as you mention you're from New York, this is what people think.

2. Although this is a more accurate definition.

(And also probably the reason a lot of people think we're a-holes)

3. The definition of a 'good' bagel is very lose outside of the tri-state area.

I almost passed out once when one of my friends had the NERVE to tell me the bagels at the dining halls were 'good.' Good??? They are made of dust. Where are the specialty bagels? Where's my limited-time-only cream cheese flavors? @lox where did you go???

(Courtesy: @TheBagelStore)

4. You probably won't meet anyone that likes the Yankees.

Growing up in New York, you either like the Yankees or you get made fun of for being a Mets fan (shout out to NYM in the Series and all the bandwagon followers). When you leave, liking the Yankees is social suicide. Do not bring your favorite Yankees tank top or baseball cap because you will actually be terrorized. But really, who can argue with this?

5. 24-hour diners aren't a staple in every community.

My boyfriend was going on and on about this 24-hour diner once and I didn't get why. Aren't all diners open 24/7 for your late night milkshake needs? Apparently not. It's honestly a tragedy. Where am I supposed to get good homefries at 2 A.M. when they're all I can think about?

6. Some people will actually be in awe of your home state.

I didn't realize how many people dream of going to a place that I had the privilege of living my whole life. I could get to NYC in 30 minutes if I caught the express, yet some people can't even get to their local movie theater in that time. Do you know how many people have asked me if I've seen anyone famous? Do you know how sad it is that I have to tell them that my mom once saw Geraldo Rivera in an elevator? That's the best I can do. So much for the glamour.

7. Two words: chain. restaurants.

Not to be the typical New York a-hole mentioned above, but do people actually consider a dinner at Olive Garden a big night out? Are there no authentic Italian restaurants? No good Jewish delis? I'm all for Chipotle, but where are my real enchiladas at? If I ended up at an Olive Garden for dinner, it would be because every other restaurant on my radar exploded. And to everyone who tries to tell me their breadsticks are amazing let me say this: it is pretty hard to mess up a breadstick. I would hope they're good (@OliveGarden no hard feelings).

8. People are a lot friendlier.

I know, I know. In every movie you've ever seen, there's a heartlessly cold New Yorker who has no time for friends and socialization. I'm not saying that's true, but outside of New York, people tend to be friendlier especially in public settings. I was honestly surprised when a girl I had met once in my residence hall sparked up conversation when we were standing in line next to each other. What was she doing? People are friendly? People make eye-contact? What is this place?

9. People will tell you that you have a New York accent even when you don't.

"OMG you're from New York?! I could totally tell from your voice!" No you couldn't. Let me get my mom in here and then we can decide what a New York accent is. Do I say pizzer? New Yawk? No. And if we're talking about accents, don't get me started on Bah-ston.

10. You're either from Long Island or the city.

According to anyone that finds out you're from New York, you MUST be from one of the five boroughs or from Long Island. There are no other options. Sorry, but you don't exist upstate New York. You either Putnam. You're all a myth. People only inhabit NYC and LI.

11. Last, but not least you're probably way too proud of where you come from.

I honestly get excited to talk about being from New York, especially after realizing how lucky I am to have grown up there. There's not a single New Yorker who isn't obnoxiously proud of the fact that they can call themselves one. So when you're wondering why New Yorkers are such a-holes ask yourself this: who can blame us? We've got the greatest city in the world. The best bagels. The tastiest pizza money can buy in the U.S. There's a reason people dream of living there and we're lucky enough to call it home.