13 Things Only College Band Twirlers Will Understand

Twirling in all types of weather for starters.

773
Personal Photos

the world of college marching band, there is a subset culture that is college twirling. College band majorettes add an aspect of glamour and pageantry to their marching bands. Although there is a whole world of competitive twirling that has a different way of operating, band twirling is so different so it makes sense that there are some things that college twirlers understand that others won't.

1. The early call times.

When the kickoff time is noon, the band report time is probably 8 AM. But the rest of the band doesn't have to do their hair and wing their eyeliner and apply eyelash glue. Hello 4 AM alarm clock!

2. Getting confused for the dance team.

At least I get to learn a few notes on the sousaphone in exchange for a few simple baton lessons!

4. Old dudes/ Old ladies who used to be majorettes want to take pictures with you.

I am convinced that everyone was a majorette at one point in their life.

5. Or little girls who want to be you when they grow up.

They are adorable!

6. Football players asking "Aren't you cold?"

No, I am totally warm in my leotard-like costume. But thank you for asking. And no, we don't have winter outfits.

7. Not being able to hold onto or see the baton because of rain.

Or the snow... or the sun... or stadium lights...

8. When the drill doesn't understand that it is almost impossible to twirl and run 60 yards at the same time.

And by the time you arrive at your drill spot, you can't breathe.

9. Smiling through the pain.

While high stepping... Darn you run cadences!

10. Avoiding the instrumentalists.

I am sorry if I dent your trombone...

11. The crowd's reaction when you pull out a FIRE BATON

If there isn't an audible gasp from the entire stadium something is wrong.

12. No one actually knows who you are.

Within the actual band, most people probably know who you are especially if there are not a lost of twirlers at your school. But once you try to explain what a Golden Girl is outside of the blissful world of marching band, people can only think of Betty White on "Golden Girls".

13. The amazing experience it is to be a part of you school's game day traditions.

The marching band at any school is very literally, the voice of the university. They provide tons of energy on game day and are the players of the fight songs and Alma Maters everywhere. It is no exaggeration to say that the college game day experience would be drastically different (and more boring) without marching bands present. But even though twirlers do not contribute to the overall sound of the band, they do add an awesome visual element to bands. As a college twirler, I can say that I am proud to be a part of the tradition that my band brings to the field every Game Day!